✧4: reality check✧

Frisk stepped out of Asgore's throne room, walking down the gray hallways back into the judgment hall. Their footsteps echoed around them as they walked, the light streaming out from the windows onto their body.

They saw their reflection in the pillars, the light behind them seeming to outline their body in a warm glow. The child gave a wistful smile at the sight, despite having seen it so many times before.

It felt like ages ago when they first fell into the Underground. It was weird and confusing at first, and a bit scary. After all, almost everyone down there thought they had to die for things to be right again. But through it all, they managed to maintain their MERCY despite Flowey's efforts, earning a happy ending for all monsterkind.

They just wish they were able to keep it.

They never knew when it would happen. Sometimes it took a few hours or a few months. A year or two if they got lucky. But it always happened the same way. They were in their house with Toriel, half-asleep in their bed, the scent of butterscotch-cinnamon pie wafting through the air. Then darkness. Brought back to that same patch of green grass with no way out except to RESET. They had tried to stop it multiple times, with solutions ranging from never leaving the Underground to trying to break their saves. But it just kept happening, and after a while they just accepted the fact that there was nothing they could do about it.

At first, they tried to make light of the situation. With every RESET made they had more chances to explore every last inch of the place, right? So they did everything possible in the Underground. They read every book; they burned every book(the librarbian was not happy). They won every game; they lost every game. Heck, they even somehow managed to end up working at the MTT Resort as a co-cashier with Burgerpants in one timeline. But even that little bit of hope didn't stay for long, and soon they had found every last thing to do and say.

And yeah, they loved their friends and their shenanigans. But that didn't change the fact that they were bored with it. Wishing that somebody would say something new for a change. Wishing that there was some new item they could pick up to try out. Wishing that something, anything, could surprise them again after so long.

They walked across the bridge to MTT's and stopped at the sound of their phone ringing out from their pocket, picked it up, and expected to hear Undyne's fiery yet somewhat nervous request to come to Snowdin.

"HUMAN!"

Only to slightly jump at Papyrus's voice blasting through the speaker. He sounded as cheery as they remembered, with the sound of water dripping and Gerson's voice behind him.

"I WOULD LIKE TO ASK IF YOU COULD HELP ME AND UNDYNE WITH SOMETHING. SOMETHING STRANGE IS WALKING AROUND THE UNDERGROUND, AND UNDYNE HAS ASKED FOR MY ASSISTANCE TO LOOK FOR IT. I, OF COURSE, AM A MASTER SEEKER THANKS TO YEARS OF MASTERY IN THE ART OF PUZZLES AND JAPES, BUT I WANTED TO SEE IF YOU WANTED TO JOIN US IN OUR SEARCH, SEEING AS THIS WOULD BE A GREAT WAY TO BOND!" An echoing tap sound can be heard as someone walks towards the phone and Papyrus, and Undyne's voice comes on soon after it. "Just hurry up and get over here, and we'll explain the details once you're there. See ya punk!" Click...

They might as well. This is the first new thing to happen in a long while, and they're not about to miss it. Plus, they weren't really in a hurry to get beamed to death(?) by a Chaos Blaster. They walked over to the Mettaton statue and saved, quickly running out of the hotel right after. What Frisk failed to notice, however, were the slight glitches in the save point after it was used.

· • —– · 𖥸 · —– • ·

You lay on your couch and stare up at the ceiling. Your feet were propped up against the armrest, and your phone was in your right hand as you held the camera in the other. You had been spending more time on it, trying to figure out how to turn it back on. You assumed that it was because of the battery and tried to charge it. You and Kai looked through every one of the boxes to find a charger, but alas, there was nothing. You couldn't even buy a replacement since searching for the company that made the camera showed it had gone out of business long ago. And the resale prices were way out of your price range.

You drop the camera onto your couch with a huff, put your phone back into your pocket, and get up to go to the kitchen to grab something to eat. Maybe its batteries can't be charged again because they're damaged. It could have been sitting up in the attic for who knows how long now. They could be rusty and need to be replaced, and you did read somewhere that certain batteries can 'die' if they aren't used for a long time.

You snap out of your thoughts as you grab a box of crackers. No, you were worrying too much about this. It was just a camera, you could just get another one if this one didn't work. Sitting back on the couch, you turn on the TV and open up Netflix, leaning back. A couple hours of k-drama will take your mind off of this in no-

CRASH!

You sit upright, the loud sound startling you as the crackers almost topple off the couch from your movement. The camera isn't so lucky, and it hits the ground with a clunk. "Dang it..." Picking it up shows large cracks running diagonally across the lens, with smaller cracks spider-webbing from them. This is what you get for being careless, you suppose.

BOOM!

Another loud noise echoes through the house. You set the camera on your coffee table and cautiously headed towards the sound, which seemed to be coming from the back of the house. Was it an intruder? If it was, they were damn good at sneaking into places. If anything comes near your house, you immediately get an alert on your phone from your cameras. How they got past that is beyond you. You head toward the kitchen and grab the icepick you found in the drawers when you moved into the house. You doubted you'd actually use it on the person though, you just wanted to scare them off.

You grip the icepick's wooden handle and slowly get closer to the noises; another loud boom indicating that they are coming from somewhere outside. You walk towards the sliding doors that lead out to a field behind the house. You reach your hand towards the curtains covering the windows, and a peek beyond them shows that not too far from the glass is a shattered pot that used to hold some flowers that you grew a while back, as well as some burn marks in the ground. You reached your hand into your pocket, close to calling the cops on this person until you looked out further into the field, and the sight there was enough to make you almost drop your makeshift weapon in disbelief.

Standing there in broad daylight were several skeletons. All of them looking very familiar to you.

***

Well, this took way longer to make than it should have-