✧3: one person's junk is another kai's treasure✧

"...and the belt buckle looks like a casette tape. The design's cool, dontcha think? And this one, I..."

Your tablet sat in your lap as Kai rambled on about his latest shopping spree. Your fingers fiddled with your stylus as he talked about his finds, some sticking out more than others. A monogramed barbacue branding iron, a self refilling wine glass, some meat shredding claws, and a lightsaber drink blender, just to name a few.

With each new item he presented, you just got more confused. How did he find these things at a thrift store? You thought these types of places sold mostly clothes, funiture and stuff relating to that. Still, you were always happy to see your friend enjoying his little hobby.

As you were thinking about that, Kai then held up a baseball bat to you to see. You raised an eyebrow. "Another one? I thought you were faithful to Jean." Kai just smiled. "Course I am. This is just a giant pepper grinder that looks like a bat."

You shook your head. "It's so long though! You'd probably bonk someone in the head trying to use that thing. Or worse, aim wrong and get pepper flakes in somebodies eye." You paused and looked back down at your tablet for a moment, continuing as you added some highlights to an object in your drawing. "It happened to me, and trust me when I say it hurts like hell."

Kai's smile morphed into a smirk as you said that, waving the bat around a bit. "Maybe it'd be better if I used it for a-salt instead of pepper then. Can't hurt to have a backup. Unless you're my target that is."

A chuckle escaped you, looking back up at him. "I feel like you only get these things just to make those puns." Kai put the pepper grinder bat back into his bag, laughing along with you. "Mayyyyyyybe. But it's fun either way to get all these weird gizmos. Or just shopping in general."

You stood up from your seat putting your tablet on your coffee table, finally having the chance to now that it seemed like he didn't have any more to show you. "Yeah, for you maybe. Your bank account is still recovering from the chocolaterie trip." Kai just shrugged. "It was a half-off sale, how could I pass up the opportunity?"

You rolled your eyes. "Mmhm, sure. Anyway...wait here a minute, I think it's my turn to show you some stuff now." Kai gave you a thumbs up of approval, reclining back into your couch as you headed back upstairs to go get the box from your attic.

· • —– · 𖥸 · —– • ·

Kai dug through the box's contents, his eyes shining with interest. "You've got yourself quite the haul here." He took most of the trinkets out of the box and examined each one as you sat and watched. "So you said you found all this where again?"

"My attic. I was working on a commission for a client and had a bit of artist's block. Decided to go explore a bit to clear my head and found some boxes in the back with some of the same stuff."

He nodded. "Hm, cool." When he came across the journal he flipped through the pages with confused expression. "Someone's got poor penmanship. Who the heck wrote this?" You just shrugged. "Dunno. I may have forgot to mention that I don't know where all this came from. Who knows, maybe it was from the previous owner." You then remembered you had forgoten to bring down the camera. "Shoot, hang on a sec."

You rushed back upstairs into your room and grabbed the camera off your dresser, coming back to display it in front of him. "Tada! This is the most interesting thing I found in there in my opinion." Kai leaned forward to get a better look, a hand under his chin. "Does it still work?" You nod. "I got some really nice photos of some of my stuff. Lemme just turn it on..." You hold down the power button waiting for the screen to light up. But after a few moments of doing this, it seems like nothing's happening.

"Huh?"

You try again and again to turn it on but still get nothing. You slump onto the couch, a bit upset by this. "Aw man. The batteries must've died. And I didn't see a charger for this thing in the box." Kai scoots over to you and gives you a small pat on the back. "It's okay, you'll get another chance. For now why don't you just finish your work? I've nothing better to do so I'll help you look for it." You smile his offer, nodding. "Alright. Thanks for the help." Kai just went back over the box, ready to head back to digging through the box. "Anytime."

Giving him one last grateful smile you set down the camera and head back to your work, leaving him to his little treasure hunt.

***

Retrival in process.↺66%