Chapter 32: A Dying Flower

"Ready for round two?" Phoebe asked as she picked up her staff.

Her and Keith have been sparring on the training deck, with Phoebe winning so far.

"I don't understand how you are so quick." He rubbed the back of his arm, which had just been victim to her swing.

"Well I had to be quick to survive." All of a sudden the smile on her face disappeared. "Sorry, I don't mean to keep being up all of that."

"It's alright. You gotta have someone to talk to, right?" He patted her shoulder. "And I'm glad you feel like you can with me."

"Of course! But you still haven't answered my question. . . Round two?"

He chuckled. "Sure, but can you take it easy on me this time?"

"Hmm, we'll see."

They each picked up their staffs and raised them up, preparing themselves for the other to make a move. Phoebe thought it'd be a good idea for Keith to practice for face to face combat, especially since most Galrans fight with a sword like he does.

"Ready?" Phoebe asked her challenger.

"Always!"

Keith took the first chance he had to lunge forward, clashing his staff with hers. She slid her staff across his, making it spin around until she had the upper hand. She lightly pushed him off, motioning her hand for him to come back at her. He tried once again to land a blow on her, but once again she managed to block his attempt.

"C'mon, cowboy! I know you can do better than that!"

He fastened his pace, trying to land several attacks at a time. Phoebe kept blocking.

She huffed and puffed, all the whole keeping up her guard. As she dodged each hit, she could feel the room start to spin. She took a couple steps back, and let her guard down. Keith took the opportunity to make a move, and managed to knock the staff out of her hand.

"Ha! Finally. . . Hey, are you okay?" His excitement quickly faded away as he saw Phoebe grasping the side of her head.

"Huh? Yeah, I'm fine." She picked her staff back up, firmly gripping it. "Lets get back to it."

Phoebe tried to keep her focus on the training, but as she and Keith went back at it she could feel her body starting to numb. All of her senses were entering a tunnel, and she had no control over it.

"Phoebe? What's the matter?"

His voice began to fade, and what she heard in its place shook her to her core. It was a harsh, sharp voice. That of an old woman.

"Come on warrior! Fight!"

She lifted her head, and what she saw was not the training deck or Keith. Instead, it was Hagar, and her surroundings resembled that of Zarkon's ship.

"No! Go away! Leave me alone!" She lunged her staff. Only at the moment of impact did her vision finally reveal the truth. She has shattered Keith's staff, and sent him skidding across the deck floor.

He winced in pain as he tried to sit up, a look of utter shock on his face. But he wasn't as shocked as Phoebe.

"I-I'm so sorry. I. . . I don't know what happened." She grasped her head, trying to get a hold of her thoughts.

"It's alright, Phoebe." Keith stood up on his feet and cautiously stepped towards her. "It was just an accident."

He tried to reach for her trembling hand, but she took a step back from him.

"No! Please. I. . . I don't want to hurt you."

Before he could say anything, she turned around and rushed out the door.