Chapter 33: A White Door

I slowly opened my eyes, my head buzzing as I tried to sit myself up. Everything was pitch black. I couldn't see a single thing, not even my own body. It was as if I were in an abyss, completely absent of light and life.

"Hello?" I tried calling out, but there was no answer. A sharp pain spiked through my body as a cold breeze hit me, my skin raising up with goosebumps.

As I got on my feet, I felt another breeze coming from behind me. I turned around, and was shocked to see an outline of a door, a pulsing white light emanating from it. With no other options in front of me, I stepped towards the door and grasped the door knob, cautiously opening it.

As soon as the door opens I am hit with the sweet smell of spring, filling my senses. Once my eyes adjust to the bright light I see before me a beautiful sight. A field full of a familiar blooming flower.

"Juniberry flowers?" The entire field was covered in the vibrant pink flowers, cascading as far as I could see. My eyes began to water from its beauty. "Did I die? Is this heaven?"

"Not quite..." A voice came from behind me.

My heart skipped a beat. I recognized the sweet voice in an instant. The voice was a woman's, a voice that I hadn't heard in what felt like an eternity.

"M-mom?"

I turned around and saw her there before me. A woman in a beautiful white gown. A wedding dress. Her short auburn hair shaping her face, her piercing blue eyes drawing my attention.

"Mom!"

Like a swift breeze I ran to her, jumping into her arms. I thought that my weight might knock her over, but she didn't even stumble. She just wrapped her arms around me, her warm embrace melting my heart.

"Hello sweetie!"

She drew back and took a good look at me, her eyes beginning to water as she looks into mine.

"You look just like him" She whispered softly as her hand traced the marks on my cheeks.

"What's going on? Wh-where am I?" I was overfilled with joy, but deep down I knew that this wasn't real. It couldn't be. It was all too good to be true. "You're not real, you. . . This can't be."

"But we are real. We are real in your memory." My eyes widened as I turned to see a man walking in our direction. "Hi there, Juniberry."

"Dad!"

He walked over towards the both of us. The sight of the two of them, here, together. I couldn't even find the words. I could hardly grasp my breathe.

"I can't believe you both are here. I. . . I've missed you both so much." I couldn't stop the tears from falling out. I could feel them cascading down my face as both of my parents drew me into their arms. I could feel their warmth, hear their heartbeats, smell their clothes. It really was them, not just a figment of my imagination. They are really here.

"Phoebe?"

My head jolted to the side. I heard a man's voice, but I couldn't see where it had come from. The sound of it was almost distorted, like it was glitching. It sounded familiar, but. . . for some reason I couldn't place it.

"What's wrong sweetie?" My mother looked in the direction that my head was turned to, but she must've not seen or heard anything.

"Oh, it's nothing. Must have been the wind."

"Phoebe!"

I heard the voice again, only this time it was more clear. I could now recognize it clear as day.