6 - Come Back Home

When the train stopped, Y/N carried her luggage and got off only to be met with her brother as he stood at a distance. Upon seeing her, he cleared his throat and approached her, his steps hesitant. "Hey."

Y/N stared at him for a moment, aware of the fact that he hated being there. Fair enough, she didn't want him waiting for her either. "Hi." She replied, her tone guarded as he offered to take her luggage. 

Seojin shuffled his feet awkwardly, his eyes avoiding direct contact with hers. It was evident that he was struggling to find the right words to say. After a brief silence, he finally mustered the courage to speak again."I... I thought I'd come and pick you up. Mom insisted, and, uh, I didn't really have a choice."

The last thing Y/N wanted was to be caught in the middle of an uncomfortable reunion with her brother. But she sighed and handed her luggage to him, careful not to make any physical contact. "Thanks for coming, I guess."

He nodded. "Yeah, well, I couldn't exactly say no to Mom." Y/N's heart sank at his words but she just nodded and walked by his side. Silence hung heavy in the air as they made their way to Seojin's car, each step feeling more burdensome than the last. When they reached the car, he opened the trunk and placed her luggage inside while she silently climbed into the passenger seat. He started the car, his hands gripping the steering wheel tightly. They sat in silence for a moment before he decided to break the silence. "How have you been?" 

Y/N glanced at him, wondering if he was really concerned about her or if it was just for the sake of the conversation. "I've been okay. Trying to find my way, I suppose." She doubted Seojin knew anything about her apart from the fact that they were siblings. He was always like that, distant and disengaged from her life. It wasn't that surprising, she was just the adopted girl his parents brought home one day.

Seojin nodded, his eyes briefly meeting hers before returning to the road. "Yeah, same. Mom and Dad have been keeping me updated on some things. You're in a writing club, right?"

"Yeah." It took her off guard how he actually knew something about her. They weren't close at all and she doubted he asked about her out of genuine interest. But there was a small part of her that hoped he was making an effort to bridge the gap between them. "It's joined it a while ago."

"That's... really cool. I knew you had a way with words when you sat by the lake and told Dad that the world was a canvas waiting to be painted with stories. It stuck with me." He smiled a little and Y/N wondered if it was just her imagination. She never expected Seojin to remember something she said nonchalantly not even to him, but to their father. She didn't think anyone paid attention to it, but he did, and it made her heart swell with something she couldn't put her finger on.

"Thank you for saying that." She looked down at her fidgeting fingers then out of the window and at her hometown. She missed the familiarity of its streets, the memories that were etched into every corner. Even the sad ones. 

The ride was silent and not so uncomfortable, and when they reached home, Seojin helped her out and carried the luggage, letting her run to their parents who waited in front of the door as if they were the missing pieces completing the puzzle of her return. Hugs were exchanged and tears of joy were shed as Seojin watched the reunion with a soft smile.

"We missed you, sweetheart." Her mother held her tight and her father stood close by, his eyes glistening with tears as he reached out to hold her hand. No matter how Y/N was good with words, she could never fully express the depth of her love for her parents. "It's good to have you back."

"I missed you both so much," She smiled, squeezing their hands while Seojin lingered in the background. He had missed her more than words could ever convey, but he was always afraid of admitting it because of all those horrible things he told her in the past.

The neighbors visited when they knew that Y/N came back home. They all loved her so much, mostly because she was sweet and calm, helping them whenever they needed it. They hugged her tightly, showering her with compliments about how she became more beautiful, both inside and out. "Do you have a boyfriend?" The question took her off guard, and Y/N's cheeks flushed.

"No, not yet," she replied, chuckling a little.

"Why? You're very beautiful. Anyone would love to be with you." Oh, how noisy they were. But deep down she knew that they were just curious about her life since she lived away for a long time. 

She smiled warmly at her neighbors. "I appreciate your kind words. I guess when the time is right, the right person will come into my life."

With a lighthearted chuckle, one of the neighbors added, "Well, whoever is lucky enough to be with you will be truly blessed." Y/N blushed and smiled, glancing at Seojin who was watching her before he averted his gaze. A few minutes later, it was dinner time, and Y/N and her family sat at the table, eating the delicious home-cooked meal prepared by their mom. 

"How have you been?" Her mother asked and she shrugged, smiling softly.

"I've been good. Areum told me to greet you, she misses you a lot." Areum once spent time at their place and ended up loving it. Mostly because of Seojin who perhaps had a crush on her. Y/N stole a glance at him while he pretended not to care, but whenever Areum's name was mentioned, he couldn't hide the slight blush that colored his cheeks.

"Tell Areum we miss her too. We'll have to invite her over again soon," she replied, a knowing smile playing on her lips. She glanced at Seojin, who shifted uncomfortably in his seat, trying to hide his reaction.

"Yes." She chuckled. "What about you? How's work, Dad?"

"It's going well. I might have a promotion coming up," their father replied with a proud smile. "I've been working hard, and it seems like my efforts are paying off."

Y/N's mother slightly hit his arm, frowning while trying to hide her surprise. "Why didn't you tell us?"

"Well, I'm telling you now." He shrugged. "I wanted to wait until it was confirmed. But it looks promising, and I wanted to share the good news with all of you." 

"That's wonderful news, Dad, congratulations," Y/N said, a genuine smile lighting up her face. "We're so proud of you."

"Thank you, sweetheart." He smiled, squeezing her hand. "Are you comfortable in Seoul? Did you need anything?" Y/N felt so loved and cared for by his words. He had always been attentive and caring because he knew very well that she needed that love. Y/N's parents had passed away in a fire when she was just a child and so her father now poured all his love into raising her along with Seojin.

"I'm more than comfortable in Seoul," She smiled, looking down at her plate. "I'm building a life there and I have Areum who's a very, very nice friend. I'm doing good."

"I'm glad to hear that, Y/N," He nodded, his voice soft. "Your mother and I are very proud of you."

"Thank you. You know I couldn't have done it without you and Mom, right?" She muttered, making them shake their heads and chuckle. 

She was home. It made her heart swell with love because she knew she'd never be alone. They were there for her and it was enough to make her feel utterly loved. Even her brother who always hated her, had started to soften his heart.

She was happy, truly happy. The wounds of her past were gradually healing, and the love that surrounded her was filling the empty spaces within her heart.