39 - Turning The Page

That night, both Y/N and Jake needed each other more than anything else. After assuring Areum and Sunghoon that she was okay and that Minho wasn't going to be a threat anymore because apparently, Jake had some kind of influence that would ensure Minho stayed away, Y/N found herself alone with Jake in her dimly lit living room. He shifted uncomfortably on the couch, his fingers fidgeting. "My father was well-known among businessmen... apparently he still holds some kind of power," Jake finally confessed, his voice laced with regret.

"Ah..." She could only nod, a faint smile playing on her lips. "I'm thankful for this because I really don't want Minho to end up harming me one day, but I hope you don't use your father's name to protect me. I can never truly feel safe knowing that we're relying on something so... tainted." 

"You're right. I hate the fact that I don't have any other options right now," Jake admitted, his eyes filled with frustration. It looked like he was struggling with his own identity, torn between the world he had tried to leave behind and the person he wanted to become for Y/N. "But I promise I'll find a way to truly protect you. From everything and everyone. I want to be a better man, for both of us."

She placed a gentle hand on Jake's, stopping his nervous fidgeting. "You're already warming up my world, Jaeyun. And I don't need you to be someone you're not, or rely on a tainted past. I just need you to be you, the person I fell in love with."

For the first time in a while, Jake allowed himself to breathe a sigh of relief. He looked into Y/N's eyes, and a warm, genuine smile crept across his face. "You have no idea just how... happy you make me with those words, Angel." 

She smiled, her heart feeling lighter than it had in a long time. "I think I want to hug you... not the kind that's filled with longing or desperation, but the kind that says, 'Thank you for coming back, for being here with me.'"

Jake didn't need a second invitation. He wrapped his arms around Y/N, pulling her close to his chest, and she buried her face in his shoulder. Y/N moved closer, her heart racing like a bird taking flight for the first time. Their hug was like the first raindrop in a parched desert, a single tear that escapes when emotions are too overwhelming to contain. It was a hug that told her he was here, he wasn't going anywhere, and that he would do anything to keep her safe.

He tightened his embrace, his voice barely above a whisper. "I've missed this so much, Y/N. I've missed you." She could feel his words vibrate through his chest, the steady beat of his heart echoing in her ear. And now, as they held each other in the quiet of the room, she knew there was no coming back. She didn't want to go back. He was the only man she was ever going to love like this

Her arms wrapped around him in return, and she pressed a gentle kiss to the nape of his neck, the place she knew always made him shiver. "I love you, Jaeyun. I want you to know that I won't ever let you go again. No matter what happens." 

Pulling back slightly, his eyes locked onto hers and he brushed a strand of hair from her face. His trembling fingers traced the contours of Y/N's face, committing every detail to memory. And then, it happened. In the embrace of the woman he loved, the woman who had held onto her love for him through the darkest of days, the floodgates of his emotions burst open. Tears, unbidden and unchecked, welled up in his eyes, overflowing like a torrential downpour after a long drought.

"I'm sorry. I don't know what I did to deserve you. You're just so incredibly forgiving and understanding, and I can't help but feel overwhelmed by the love you've given me," He choked out, making her heart ache. She leaned in and gently kissed away the tears that trickled down his cheeks.

"Let's sleep together, hm?" And before they knew it, they were in her bed, their arms wrapped around each other in a tight embrace as he stroked her hair and gently traced the bandage around her neck. "I'll be fine. It's just a little car."

"But you were scared. The fact that he could hurt you..." Jake's voice trailed off, and he tightened his hold on her as if he could protect her from all the harm in the world. It was such a bittersweet moment for them and it almost felt like time had stood still.

"I know, but now he can't. You're here, and I'm safe." She smiled warmly, nestling closer to him. "The scariest thing for me was thinking that you were gone from my life forever. Nothing compares to that pain, Jaeyun." Y/N could hear him let out a heavy sigh and she felt his arms tighten around her, as if he was never going to let her go again. He didn't need to say anything because she knew he was feeling the same way. That he was making a silent vow to never leave her side.

Eventually, the two of them drifted into a deep, peaceful sleep, their heartbeats synchronizing in the quiet of the night. She had always dreamt of a life where his coat hung next to hers, where his gentle presence was a constant in her life. And now, with him in her arms, those dreams seemed closer to reality than ever.

The sun had climbed higher in the sky, its rays gently bathing the room in a soft, golden glow when they finally stirred from their slumber. Y/N awoke first, her eyes opening to see Jake's peaceful expression, his eyes closed, his breathing steady. For a moment, she simply watched him, tracing the lines of his face with her fingers as if to memorize every detail. A kiss on the tip of his nose was all it took to make him stir, his eyes slowly opening to meet hers. It felt strange to wake up next to her, to go through a dream and wake up, and still find her there, with her warm and loving gaze fixed on him.

"Good morning, Angel," He whispered, a smile spreading across his lips. And then he watched as she reached for her phone on the nightstand and showed him what day it was. The smile on his face faded as the realization sunk in.

"Good morning, birthday boy." Y/N wrapped her arms around him and pulled him into a tight hug before his demons could creep back into his thoughts. She knew how his birthdays were always a series of trauma, pain and heartache, but this one was different. She was there and his father could no longer harm him. "It's your birthday." The way his body tensed didn't go unnoticed by Y/N. 

"I never liked my birthday." He admitted, closing his eyes for a moment as he buried his face in the crook of her neck. "He always comes back. I don't want him to ruin this day too." Her fingers traced his back, where the scars of every previous birthday etched painful memories. She wanted to promise him that those painful memories would never return, but when her phone started ringing and her brother's name flashed on the screen, Y/N reluctantly pulled away from Jake's embrace, her worry evident as she answered the call.

On the other end of the line, Seojin's voice sounded frantic. "Y/N, they caught him. Jake's father is finally arrested." The words struck Y/N like a bolt of lightning. She gasped, her hand trembling as she held the phone to her ear. It was a moment she had never dared to hope for, but the timing, the unexpected timing of it left her speechless.

Jake was right. His father always found a way to ruin his birthday, but not this time. This time it felt like a gift from fate itself.