29 - Break Me Like A Promise

A loud gasp echoed through the library where Y/N was working and she had to put her hand over Areum's mouth to stop her from exclaiming loudly. "You did what with Jake?"

Y/N blushed furiously as she glanced around the quiet library, hoping that nobody had overheard Areum's outburst. She lowered her voice to a whisper. "We're in a library for goodness' sake. Shut up."

"But seriously, Y/N, you can't just drop a bombshell like that and expect me to stay quiet. You and Jake? I mean, Seojin is going to be so mad if he finds out. You know he doesn't like Jake."

"Areum, please, don't make a big deal out of this. Seojin doesn't need to know about it. Plus if I tell him that Jake is the Jaeyun literally my whole family knows about, I'm pretty sure he'd grow fond of him. Jaeyun is an angel." Her cheeks warmed with a fond smile at the mention of Jake's other identity, Jaeyun. Then she let out a soft sigh. "And even if he doesn't, there's no way he'd stop me from seeing him. He witnessed the fire accident and he's helping me find out who caused it. 

"This really doesn't sit right with me," Areum shook her head, leaning against the library table. Jake being Jaeyun, him witnessing the fire accident and reopening the case after meeting you? It sounds like a recipe for drama and trouble. You've got to be careful, Y/N. I don't want to see you hurt."

"You don't have to worry, now that we're aware of how fate has intertwined our lives, I plan to be as careful as possible. Jake, or Jaeyun, is just as invested in finding the truth about my parents' death as I am. If anything, it makes me feel more secure. And I trust him." She really did. She trusted him with her heart and the past that seemed to never let go of her. 

"Tell him to answer Sunghoon, he's worried," Areum muttered before she allowed herself to smile at Y/N and left the library, wondering if her friend truly knew what she was getting herself into. She understood that Jaeyun, Y/N's first love who she met on a summer, who had once meant the world to her, was back in her life and appeared to be the same guy she was in love with. But she couldn't shake the feeling that there were layers to this story that were still hidden and she dreaded the thought of Y/N ending up hurt or heartbroken again. 

Y/N, on the other hand, tried to barely live without thinking of the fire case. Detective Park was doing his job and with Jake's testimony, they were eventually going to catch the murderer. She could just be with Jake and let the past be the past. With this thought in mind, she left the library after a whole afternoon of shift and made it to her apartment. She just wanted to rest and talk to Jake and yet, when she reached her apartment, someone had been waiting for her.

"What are you doing here?" Her eyes widened and her fists clenched as she stepped cautiously towards Minho, her ex-boyfriend who could never agree on the breakup even though it happened months ago. He still had that smug look in his eyes, as if he believed that he could convince her to change her mind. "I think I made it clear I will report you if you don't leave."

"Report me?" He scoffed, shaking his head in disbelief. "What are you going to report, Y/N? That I came to talk to you? We used to be in a relationship, you know."

Y/N took a step back, feeling uneasy by his persistent presence. "Please, Minho, we broke up for a reason. I can't be with you anymore. It's over."

Minho's expression darkened, and he took a step closer to her, invading her personal space. "You think I'm just going to let you walk away from me? Open your door, Y/N, let's talk inside."

"I'm not letting you inside. Leave before I-" But before she knew it, he grabbed her hand and pinned it to the wall with a force that made her wince in pain. "Minho, you're hurting me! Please-"

He leaned in close, his voice low and threatening. "You should have thought about that before you decided to end things, Y/N. You belong to me, Y/N, do you understand? I will never let you go."

"I'm already seeing someone else! Get off me-" She mustered all her strength and pushed him away from her but all he did was pause and smile. The same smile that sent chills down Y/N's spine, a smile that was more unsettling than comforting. "You can't keep doing this, Minho, you're only pushing me further away."

"What?" He raised his eyebrows, mocking her words with a bitter laugh. "Seeing someone else, are you? Who could possibly want you now-" Minho never got to finish his sentence when Jake stormed towards him, turning him around and landing his tight fist squarely on Minho's jaw. The punch sent Minho stumbling back, crashing against the opposite wall with a loud thud. "What the fuck...?"

"Me, you fucking asshole," Jake muttered, breathing heavily as if he just ran a marathon. His fists were clenched, his eyes blazing with anger as he took a step toward Minho, who was still dazed from the punch. "I want her so you better fucking understand that she's off-limits to you now. And if you ever come near her, I'll break your arm and shove it down your throat. Got it?"

Minho wiped the blood from his split lip and held his throbbing jaw. "You're making a big mistake, Y/N. You think you can replace me with this guy?"

"Don't talk to her, you piece of shit." Y/N let Jake hold her hand and pull her behind him to hide her from Minho. "I suggest you leave before I change my mind and break your little shrimp instead of your hand."

Minho's eyes widened in disbelief at Jake's threat, finally realizing that Y/N was not alone and defenseless anymore. He muttered a few choice curses under his breath before reluctantly deciding to retreat. He gave them one last menacing glare and stumbled away, nursing his wounded pride.

"Shit..." Y/N let out a shaky breath, her legs giving up on her when Jake wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close. She buried her face in his chest, finally allowing herself to feel the full weight of the fear and anxiety that had been building up for so long. "I t-thought he was going to..." Her voice trailed off as she struggled to find the right words to express the fear that had gripped her.

"You're safe now," Jake whispered, kissing her forehead as he rubbed her back gently. "I won't let him come near you again, angel, I promise. I would never let anyone hurt you." He really meant it, but did the promise include him? Was he going to protect her from himself and everything that haunted his own past? Those were questions he had asked himself repeatedly since he and Y/N had grown closer, and he knew he was never going to get an answer. 

Not until he told her the truth, which was never going to happen.