30 - Nightmare Chaser

"Do you feel better?" Y/N sat on her couch, watching Jake make her tea. He moved around the small kitchen, the gentle clinks of the teacups and the soft bubbling of the kettle providing a soothing background to their conversation. She sighed, nodding at him when he looked at her. "Was he always this possessive?"

"He was... toxic." She didn't know how to put it into words so she just shrugged. "I thought things would get better after we broke up, but they only got worse. He would call and text me constantly, show up unannounced and- I mean, yeah..."

"Angel," Jake put the teacup on the table and crouched down in front of her, staring into her eyes for a moment. "Did he ever physically hurt you before? You can be honest with me."

Y/N hesitated for a moment, her gaze dropping to her hands in her lap. "Yes," She admitted in a small voice. "A few times, he... he lost control, and I didn't know what to do. That's why I ended things, Jake. I couldn't take it anymore."

Jake's expression hardened with anger as he gently reached out and tilted Y/N's chin up to meet his gaze. "You should have told someone, Y/N. I'm so sorry you had to be with a fucking monster like him. But you're not alone anymore, okay? I'm here, and I won't let anyone hurt you ever again. If he ever comes near you again, I promise I'll break every bone in his body if I have to."

"I know. I do feel safe with you." She gave him a ghost of a smile and he leaned in, planting a gentle kiss on her forehead, his lips lingering there for a moment. And when he wrapped his arms around her and sobs finally came, Y/N let herself cry, letting out all the pent-up fear, frustration, and pain that had built up during her toxic relationship with Minho. 

"It's okay, angel, things will get better now," Jake whispered softly as he held Y/N close, his hand gently stroking her back. His words were ironic and they held a bitter truth for him, given the secrets he was still hiding from her. "Take a deep breath, okay? You're okay."

After a while, Y/N's tears subsided, and she pulled away from Jake, wiping her eyes with the back of her hand. "I'm sorry you had to see me like this. I don't normally break down like that."

"There's nothing to apologize for, angel. I'm glad you can be yourself around me, and I'm even happier that you're finally free from that abusive relationship." He held her hand and she allowed herself to lean into his reassuring touch. "And it's completely normal to have moments like these. It's a part of healing and moving forward, right?"

"I just don't want you to think less of me... like I'm weak or incapable."

"Y/N, life is throwing every single challenge it can at you, and you're still here, still standing. That's not weakness; that's incredible strength. You're one of the strongest people I know, and I'm so, so proud of you. You know?" He tilted his head to have a good glance at her faint smile. "I could never think less of you, not when you took my heart so many years ago and you're still holding it safe and sound."

Y/N blushed at Jake's words, her heart fluttering at the depth of his affection. "Thank you for saying this." 

"I'll love you no matter what, angel. And if one day I seem to you like the worst asshole on this planet, please remember that this asshole loves you so much he'd move mountains to make you happy," Jake said with a loving grin.

Y/N chuckled and leaned in, kissing his cheek softly. "I'll hold you to that, you mountain-moving asshole."

"My lips are here," He whispered, his voice low and intimate, before their lips met in a gentle, lingering kiss. His hand went to her neck before he grabbed it gently, deepening the kiss. Her back arched slightly, feeling a warmth that spread through her entire being. She loved him, so much she couldn't put it into words. So much she would never think of leaving him. 

What a sweet, naive thought to think the universe made them cross paths over and over so they could have their happy ending. Happy endings were a beautiful dream, but real-life love stories often fell short of the fairy tales. Y/N knew that, and so did Jake. But at that moment, ignorance was bliss and they basked in the warmth of that illusion.

Moments later, Jake was fixing a new doorlock that he bought together with Y/N at the local hardware store. It wasn't the most glamorous of activities, but it was one of those simple, everyday moments that made their relationship feel real and solid. As he tightened the last screw, he looked up at her and smiled, sweat glistening on his brow. "There you go, angel," He said, stepping back and admiring his handiwork. "Your castle is secure once again. No one's going to hurt you in here."

Y/N felt a warmth spread through her heart as she watched Jake. She had never known a love so protective and genuine. "Thank you, Jaeyun." 

He chuckled, brushing a strand of hair away from her face. "Gosh, I just can't help it when you say my name like that."

"Like what?" She asked, playing innocent, though she knew exactly what he meant. Her voice had a way of making his heart skip a beat.

"Like you mean it," Jake replied, his eyes locking onto hers. "Like you're saying it with all the love in the world. It makes me realize that there's nothing else I'd rather hear. Now, let's get some rest, angel. You should be getting some good sleep tonight."

"Can you... stay with me?" She hesitantly asked, her vulnerability shining through. It was a simple request, but it held a world of meaning for both of them. "You know, to make sure I'm safe," she added, her voice barely above a whisper.

Jake kissed her forehead gently, his lips warm against her skin. "I was going to say that even if you didn't ask, I'd be right here by your side, but since you asked, I'll gladly stay with you. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else, angel." They entered her cozy bedroom, where soft moonlight filtered through the curtains, casting a gentle glow across the room. Y/N slipped into her comfortable pajamas as Jake watched her with a tender smile. He wore Seojin's pajamas that she kept in her closet in case he came over unexpectedly, which now served as Jake's temporary sleepwear.

As they settled into the bed, Y/N nestled into the crook of Jake's arm and let out a soft sigh. "No nightmares tonight, I guess."

"Do you get nightmares?" He frowned, reaching out to brush a strand of hair off her forehead. It pained him to think of her suffering in the darkness of her own mind.

Y/N nodded, her eyes still heavy with drowsiness. "Sometimes... They're not as frequent as they used to be, but they still come back when I'm feeling anxious or scared. It just never seems to completely go away."

Jake gently pressed a kiss to her forehead, his lips lingering as if to chase away any lingering fears. "I'm here. If you have a nightmare again, I'll be here, right by your side, and I'll hold you until it's just a distant memory." Y/N's breaths grew slow and steady when her eyes closed and he gazed at her, mesmerized by the peaceful expression that settled over her face. "Sleep well, my angel." 

She was the most precious thing in the world to him, and as he watched her drift into the peaceful embrace of sleep, it felt like he could fight the whole world just so that she would never have to face those nightmares again. Because that's what she deserved. Because she was the best thing his hands had touched.