18 - When The Sea Is On Fire

"Your stories are not stupid." Jake blurted out before he could stop himself. He could hear her scoff and he couldn't blame her for her skepticism after their earlier argument. But he meant every word he said. "I didn't mean what I said earlier. They're really not stupid. I was just... frustrated, and I lashed out. I'm sure you write some amazing stuff."

"I do." Y/N nodded and a small smile played at the corners of her lips. "I write because it's what I love, and it's a part of who I am."

He smiled and let out a contented sigh. "I'd love to read some of your stories someday, you know, when we get out of this mess." Y/N turned her head slightly, her cheek brushing against his arm while he could feel the warmth of her breath against his skin.

"I'm sorry too... for my reaction earlier," Y/N admitted, her gaze softening as she looked into his eyes. "I guess I can be pretty stubborn and quick to judge sometimes."

"Yes, you are stubborn and you're pretty dramatic, but that's what a writer is all about, right?" Jake grinned, and Y/N playfully swatted his arm. "I wouldn't expect anything less from someone as passionate as you."

"Really?" She pulled her legs closer and gave him a smile that he could see even in the dimly lit forest. "You're not just saying that to make me feel better, are you?"

"No, Y/N. I mean it." He shook his head earnestly. "How's your arm?"

Y/N glanced down at her scraped forearm, realizing that the pain had lessened. "It's actually not as bad as I thought," she admitted. "It stings a bit, but I'll survive. What about your ankle?"

Jake shifted slightly, wincing as he adjusted his injured ankle. "I'll be fine too, once we figure out how to get out of here." The two sat down close to each other in a not-so-uncomfortable silence before he cleared his throat. "I took a lot of pictures of the sunset. I can send them to you if you'd like."

"Is that your way of asking for my number?" She chuckled and he smiled, rolling his eyes in fake annoyance. "Yes, I'd like to. I love sunsets a lot. I love the way the sky changes colors when the sun begins its descent towards the horizon, and I love how the sea looks like it's on fire." She whispered and Jake's eyes widened, a look of surprise on his face. "What?"

"'The sea looks like it's on fire'. I like that." His expression softened as he gazed at her. "You're really a writer, aren't you?"

Y/N blushed at the compliment, feeling unexpectedly self-conscious. "Well, I know how to put words together and make people feel things. Isn't that what writing is all about?"

"It is, but you do it so effortlessly. You don't just describe the scene; you bring it to life." His words warmed her heart in the chill of the forest night, and she couldn't help but smile. She hadn't expected such genuine praise from him. "I'm sorry you're stuck with me here. I know you somehow hate me and I know you'd rather be anywhere else right now."

"I don't hate you, you just rub me the wrong way." When she quoted the same words he told her, Jake chuckled, recognizing the irony. 

"Fair enough, I guess we're even now." He watched as she looked down at her feet and played with a loose twig on the forest floor. A brief silence settled between them. "You know... I haven't stopped thinking about the kiss. It's been on my mind for the whole day, actually."

"Are you admitting you lost the dare?" She spoke, her eyes still fixed on the forest floor.

Jake hesitated for a moment, then sighed. "It's just... it was unexpected, and it caught me off guard, but it felt... different, you know?"

Y/N nodded slowly, her heart pounding in her chest. "Different in a good way?"

"Yeah, different in a really good way," He admitted, his voice softening as he looked into her eyes. "I've never kissed someone and felt like... like I was meant to do it-"

"Y/N!" The voice calling Y/N's name startled them both. They turned to see a figure approaching through the trees. It was Seojin, looking concerned and relieved. Heran followed after him and the two carefully made their way down before Y/N rushed into her brother's arms, hugging him tightly. Seojin held his sister close, relief washing over him when he saw that she was safe.

"I've been looking for you everywhere." Seojin closed his eyes and tightened his grip on Y/N. "I was so scared something had happened to you."

"Jake, are you okay? What happened?" Heran approached Jake and crouched down next to him before helping him sit up. "See? I told you not to go after her."

Y/N's heart sank at her words and she pulled away from Seojin who kept a protective arm around her. "Excuse me? It's not like I wanted to fall down a freaking hill and get lost in the woods. Why do you make it sound like it's all my fault?"

Heran rolled her eyes which only made Y/N more irritated. "Ever since you appeared in our lives, you only bring trouble," Heran muttered under her breath, but it was loud enough for Y/N to hear.

"What did you just say?" Y/N's voice quivered with anger as she stepped closer to Heran who looked like she was about to regret her choice of words. "Should I remind you that you're one hell of a liar? Or should Jake go through the CCTV back home so he knows who visited him first, who went out of her apartment and brought the ingredients to make him porridge when he was sick? You said it was you, but are you confident enough to admit it when the evidence proves you wrong?"

Heran's face turned several shades paler at her words. "What are you..." She stammered, glancing at Jake whose jaw was clenched. "Why are you trying to make me look bad?"

"I swear I'll-" Y/N's anger flared up but before she could do anything, Seojin held her hand and stopped her from making a move. He shook his head, silently urging her to calm down. "Fine, whatever. Let's just figure out how to get out of here, I'm stressed and tired."

Seojin helped Jake on his feet along with Heran who was glaring at Y/N the whole time.  She just wanted her gone and away from them so she wouldn't worry about losing Jake to someone he spent so much time with in the woods. She wondered if something happened between them, if Y/N told him the truth, or if the two of them were keeping secrets from her. 

The paranoia and insecurity were eating at Heran and she thought of all the scenarios possible of what could have happened. If Y/N took the chance to get closer to Jake or if the two were already involved. She felt like an outsider, and the jealousy gnawed at her as she watched them walk side by side. 

Y/N was physically close to her brother and Jake, but emotionally, she felt distant. She thought of Jake, who too, couldn't stop thinking of her. He stole glances at Y/N and wondered if what happened would lead anywhere. 

If the sea was on fire earlier, his heart now felt like wildfire, raging with emotions he never knew existed within him.