Chapter 1: Prologue

Hiyori POV

Scenario:

Date and teach the target 'Kiyotaka Ayanokouji' about 'love' before the Last Special Exam. Break up with him as Year 1 semester ends.

Objective:

Make an honest confession to 'Kiyotaka Ayanokouji' within today successfully.

Difficulty:

Impossible.

Consequence:

Failure of any condition will result in a daily reset via a 24-hour cycle.

Rewards:

'Partner-in-crime ticket'

Note:

Further instruction will or will not be given accordingly to how 'Hiyori Shiina' proceeds with the objective.

Hiyori blinked. It is the first time she has received what can be perceived as a 'prank' letter, yet its absurdity stiffened her.

During this winter vacation, the regular schedule for Hiyori was as dull and monotone as usual. Wake up, perform daily tasks, check which book in the bookshelf she would return to the library, goes to the library to return and borrow books, reads, goes back home, and sleeps. Yet even this dullness is disturbed by a folded paper, stuck at the edge of her letterbox as if tempting her to read it.

The first thing that comes to her mind is obviously, the name.

Kiyotaka Ayanokouji.

He has an interesting atmosphere and character that attracted her interest. In addition, he shared the same hobby of reading with her, so it can be said they shared a certain friendship.

And yet it was just that, friendship. Nothing more, nothing less.

She admitted that layer of mystery was why she has an interest in him, yet by this time she has only encountered him twice, once in the canteen and once in the library, along with some periods to read together, so she didn't...know him enough to harbor feelings for him, as contradictory as it seems.

So, the question becomes: why her? What is the peculiar instruction behind this prank? What makes her special that this letter is specifically sent to her and not others in Class D-oh, Class C?

As her frown deepens more and more in confusion, she finally decides to set aside the matter. A 'prank' should be set aside if she refuses to be played in the palms of the ill-minded culprit. She considered this may be an elaborate plan instead to instill more conflict between Class C and D, considering the consistent challenges to Ayanokoji-kun's class issued by their leader, Ryuen, but she ultimately judged the evidence insufficient to conclude as such.

And so, she ignored the message, threw the letter so it would not further her embarrassment, and continued her daily morning.

The next day she woke up. It was the same as usual. Wake up, do her daily chore by folding the bed and cleaning herself, and check if there are any books on the bookshelf that she is ready to return to the library. While she usually piled stacks of books for re-read for her interest, she would find herself guilty of hoarding books from the library and robbing others of the same joy and experience she felt when reading them, so she would regularly take out a few of the books from her book to return.

Except this time, a puzzlement came to her.

"Tolkiana's Journal....Chronicles of an Apothecary...The Last Castle Siege of Han..."