Chapter 3: First Confession (2)

"Sit here, Hiyori."

"..."

Bearing the rising heat on her cheek, Hiyori sat at the seat Ayanokouji pulled for her.

As Ayanokouji sat on the bed facing her, she remarked how this scene is like how she talked with Ibuki earlier. Nothing changes aside from that the room she was in with was a male and said the male was someone whose veil of mystery she took an enormous curiosity in.

Normally, there should be nothing that would embarrass her at all. Given she is going to lightly push him into accepting her confession, it's all the more important to stay firm, or else the scheme she concocted earlier would not work.

And thus, she began by calling out his name.

"A-Ayano...a-achoo!"

Hiyori, attempting to take the initial, covered her mouth with a small sneeze. Her sickly blush overlapped with her original embarrassed blush molding her face into a perfect shade of red.

"Sor-I apologize..."

Ayanokouji didn't react. After all, it was winter, and here Hiyori is wearing a blouse and a skirt without a jacket, so it was no surprise the cold got to her.

Making up his mind, he gripped the blanket as he stood up, before walking over and pulling the blanket over Hiyori's shoulder.

"Thank you..."

Wordlessly nodding, he headed to where his room's kettle is.

He pulled his palm over it to check if it was still warm. After that, he grabbed a mug on the side, filling it with the kettle's water.

As wordless as he initially was, Hiyori dazedly gazes as he stepped towards her with the mug of water, smoke still protruding from the surface.

"Warm up first." He spoke, with a soft voice as if caressing a small animal. "And settle your emotion. I'm willing to wait for whatever you have to say."

Hiyori blinked, her blush subsiding as she nodded, before lowering her gaze and grasping the mug with both her hands.

——————

A couple of minutes passed, and Hiyori sighed deeply.

She was going to do something 'terribly impolite', yet she ended up at the receiving end of her target's kindness.

There are no words to describe how complicated she felt right now.

Her grasp over the mug tightened as she glanced at her book buddy, who was now, in fact, reading the book.

Calm and static, as she would describe Ayanokouji, as he scanned through the novel he was reading with his bored eyes as if they are the lens of a computer scouring data to collect.

Hiyori pouted. She wished she had a bit of his calmness and carefreeness right now.

At times like this, she also wonders what Ayanokouji was feeling when he is reading right now. Curiosity over the story development? Appreciation for the plot execution? Or simple satisfaction of reading? Hiyori can only sympathize with these kinds of feelings of a reader, but for some reason, she felt as if he was beyond them.

He is also a reader, yet she could tell the knowledge he accumulated has already formed a realm without a limit. That realm was shrouded in a mystifying abyss, swallowing every world the books have to offer, before dangling them one by one like countless stars as if they are mere decorations contained in the boundless night that is his mind.

She wondered for a moment if she could even comprehend his 'world' if she could even have a glimpse at the endless night, and if she looked up and reached out to the night sky, she could be embellished as one of the dangling stars as well.