The Confrontation

Oliver had gotten no sleep that night, tossing and turning as his thoughts consumed him. He woke up the next morning feeling like a zombie, the lack of rest evident in the bags under his eyes and his weary expression. As he sat at the Great Hall with Ron and Harry, they engaged in lively conversation, their words buzzing in the air around him. But Oliver remained distant, lost in his own thoughts.

Then, like a ray of sunlight breaking through the clouds, Hermione joined them at the table. Her astute observation skills immediately picked up on Oliver's exhausted appearance. "Are you okay, Oliver?" she asked. "It doesn't look like you got much sleep."

Oliver's heart skipped a beat at Hermione's gentle inquiry. He searched for the right words but faltered, unable to find the courage to speak up. "Never better," he finally managed to mutter.

Hermione wasn't fooled by Oliver's deflective response. She could sense his turmoil. As she engaged in conversation with Ron and Harry, her gaze kept returning to Oliver, silently inviting him to open up.

He met Hermione's gaze and found himself struggling to form the words. But before he could speak, Hermione beat him to it.

"Is there something you wanna say?" she asked.

"Can I actually talk to you?" Oliver finally mustered the courage to say.

Hermione's face lit up with genuine enthusiasm, eager to provide a listening ear for Oliver. "Of course," she replied.

Sensing the shift in the atmosphere, Ron and Harry exchanged a knowing glance. It was evident to them that Oliver's recent behavior held a connection to Hermione. Their curiosity spiked, they watched as Oliver and Hermione got up from the table.

As Oliver and Hermione walked away, Ron leaned in closer to Harry. "Something's definitely going on between those two, mate," he whispered.

Harry nodded. "Whatever it is, let's hope they figure things out. It's about time."

Oliver and Hermione walked out into the hall, the space around them infused with anticipation and unspoken words.

"Okay... So," Oliver began.

The air grew heavy with a long, awkward silence as Oliver struggled to find the right words. His mind raced, desperately trying to articulate the jumble of emotions and thoughts that had consumed him since yesterday.

"Sooooo?" Hermione prompted gently.

Oliver looked down at the ground, nervously gathering his thoughts. "I wanted to talk to you about what happened at the carnival," he began, pausing briefly before he continued. "Specifically about -" Oliver trailed off, his confidence disappearing as he looked up and met Hermione's beautiful face, eagerly listening to every word.

"Yeah?" Hermione prompted again.

Oliver's nerves got the best of him, and he blurted out, "The... uh... The um... The elephant! What did you end up naming the elephant?"

"Huh?" Hermione asked, genuinely puzzled by his question.

Oliver's face turned red as he felt the full weight of embarrassment wash over him.

"Is that really what's been making you act all weird around me?" Hermione asked.

Trying to play into it, Oliver replied, "Yes, you have no idea how much it's been eating away at me this past week," followed by a nervous laugh.

"That can't be it," Hermione said, putting her hand on her hips and leaning closer to Oliver, staring into his eyes.

"What's really going on?" she asked, her tone genuinely concerned.

"Uhh..." Oliver mumbled, feeling the pressure of Hermione's gaze.

Desperate to escape the conversation, Oliver's mind raced for an excuse. Suddenly, an idea struck him.

"Yo, Henry! Wait up, brother!" Oliver called out in the distance, pretending to spot his older brother.

He started walking towards his imaginary brother, eager to distance himself from the uncomfortable situation with Hermione.

Hermione watched, confused, as Oliver turned the corner.

Immediately, Oliver sank down onto the ground, his hands covering his face in utter disbelief. He couldn't fathom what had just transpired. Moments later, the sight of Hermione returning to the great hall caught his eye, igniting a mix of regret and longing within him. Oliver rose to his feet, his pent-up frustration taking over.

With each forceful kick against the wall, Oliver exclaimed, "Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!" His outburst echoed through the empty corridor, amplifying his inner turmoil.

Unbeknownst to Oliver, Someone was approaching him. It was Henry.

"Did you need something?"

Oliver, filled with a blend of embarrassment and anger, replied sharply, "Buzz off, Henry," his words laced with bitterness. Without another word, Oliver walked away, trying to gather his thoughts and head to his next class.