Chapter I - The Covenant of War

June 22nd, 701

Dawn arose, with a yellow and pink-ish hue. Crisp air soon filled the house, and the rays of sunshine and the sounds of birds awoke the residents.

All the magus with light purple hair wanted to do was get out of her bed; another day of attending the Solaris Academy of Magecraft awaited. While her mother was her lecturer for the day, she didn't mind much. If anything, she was proud of the fact that she was getting the privilege to study under the wing of the Solar Empire's ruler.

Her morning routine did not take long to complete; she was one for (practised) efficiency over aesthetics. Above all, she was happy that today was the start of the new year - 701. The seven-hundredth and first year of the reign of the Goddess herself, who moulded the universe out of its initial chaos, suffering and disorganisation, bringing balance and law throughout space. Everyone - both magi and non-magi alike - were inherently indebted to her, as she provided them with freedom and a prosperous, rich land.

It was simply a miracle that she was born to a magi family - while not wealthy or very extensive in their abilities, they did share a unique type of magecraft. This, on top of her studiousness and intelligence, allowed her to study in the country's top academy, and she eventually met her mother - everyone's mother. However, for her, her ruler became not just an indirect mother, but one which literally raised her, after her and her brother's parents' untimely death.

Fortunately enough for her, her brother was years older than her, and was now an adult. They shared a house together in a town near the capital, and found that they mutually looked after each very well - her as a mother figure to him, and him as a father figure to her.

And it was mostly thanks to the tutelage of their foster mother. All in all, she was proud to be a Lenore originally and officially - but in her heart, she was now a Flameheart.

She brushed her teeth as she let the tap in her bathroom run, got in the bath and started to wash. At the same time, she looked over her notes for today's history class, before solving mathematics equations in her head. When she was done, she dried her hair with a towel, got dressed in her school clothes and made her way downstairs.

She smiled, as her brother was already done cooking breakfast.

"Hey, princess," her brother teased.

"Hey." She sat down at the table with her bedhead still visible, crossing her legs, looking up at him with her azure eyes. "What time did you wake up?"

"Four. Just wanted to get everything ready for you, before you left at seven."

She smiled again. "How kind, Fyodor."

A plate of beans, toast with cheese and pork, scrambled eggs and a bowl of soup was placed in front of her. "No problem, Miss Alina Flameheart . I'm only doing this because I'm out of mandatory military service now; don't have much better to do." He lied through his teeth.

Alina dug into her meal, looking out the window and starting to hear the every-day morning bustle of the town of Denver. The sun shined brightly - of course it did, it was New Year's Day, held every year on the twenty-second of June. The sound of horse hooves clopping once people got on their saddles woke her up more than anything. She wanted to get on with her day very badly . "Um, do you think you could walk with me to the train station?"

Fyodor raised an eyebrow, sighing. "I thought you were a big girl..."

"Shut up."

Immediately, they embraced each other in a warm hug. "Of course I'll go. Anything you want. I completely understand."