Chapter II - The Path of Souls

As if Alina had not suffered enough physical damage, when she took a look at the person she contracted, the person that had just teleported above her and was looking down at her, she thought she was going to die of a heart attack right then and there.

Her eyes widened in the most fear she had ever experienced. Even more than she just faced the metallic creature.

No longer was she facing an artificial monstrosity.

Now, she was facing a natural one. A God. The God of All Evil.

"No... you... how..." She choked on her own blood. "How are our ideals..."

Nero made an umbrella appear with pure magic, extended and opened it, and rested the pole on his shoulder. "Jeesh, with the amount of blood you're spewing, the weather forecast people must have royally fucked up," he said as he grinned, emphasising his need to cover the top of his head.

She could barely breathe. She could not accept reality. She must have been dreaming. It could not be... him .

Had she just doomed the entirety of Solaria forever?

Then, Nero snapped his fingers, closing Alina's wounds and reverting them back to a previous state, but without being able to heal anything. The scars and damage remained; it was just to a lesser extent.

At least, the physical ones. Her mental scars would probably never, ever heal.

"My, my, what a cute Master I have," Nero claimed, kneeling on one knee in front of his Queen. "Henceforth, I shall be your humble servant, Master ."

Alina began to get up, still unable to process the situation. "How could I summon you...?"

Nero rolled his eyes, and disappeared. The next second, the room was covered in darkness again, before it dissolved - it was no longer a room.

Reality no longer existed.

She panicked.

'No... not primordial times again... PLEASE!'

Nero's body coiled around her as he whispered in her ear. "Shhh, Master. I am merely showing you just how alike we are."

"WE ARE NOTHING ALIKE, DEMON! LET GO OF ME!"

The Covenant activated, and he had no choice but to teleport some distance away.

Alina dropped to her knees, her mind screeching in pain, her hands on her eyes. "My... beloved... brother... just died... so... please..."

Ah. That was right.

She was talking to the King of Demons.

"I beg you. I'll do anything. I'll sell my soul. Just bring my brother back to life... you can do anything, so please... I don't fucking care about this war!"

"Ohoho, oh yes you do, My Master," Nero objected, floating in front of her with beast-like eyes, despite him looking mostly human, sans his long dragon tail and horns. "I'm afraid I cannot revive the dead, anyway," he reclined back and put his arms behind his back. "You want the same kind of Chaos I want. I know you do."

Her heart sank. "How can you possibly not bring him back to life?! How can you of all people possibly want a society free from suffering like I do?! Nothing you say makes sense!"

He smiled devilishly. "But what fun is there in making sense, My Master?" He lowered his feet on the ground and started walking, as he put a finger under her chin, lifting it. "I'll give you your answer in one word, Master: democracy. Democracy is the most chaotic form of government and society!" He laughed maniacally. "During my reign, I made the worst mistake possible, you see... I paradoxically introduced Chaos with an iron fist . A dictatorship. I was too full of revenge to realise I was acting on Order. A true country of Chaos is one where the people rule themselves, fuelling uncertainty, creativity and passion in the nation, free from chains and mundanity!"