Chapter XI - The Night of the End

As he stood in the centre of the room, Stark's eyes focused intensely on the sight before him, in shock.

All was quiet in the throne room of the Castle of the Sun.

He had returned from the battle in the city to protect his Queen.

There was a trail of blood from the throne down to the steps that led to it, and on the bottom of the steps, was an unconscious Estelle Flameheart.

Without hesitating, the General picked her up in his arms and held her tightly, checking her for any signs of major damage. Thankfully, none were detected. She had simply lost her consciousness, and therefore her balance, and had fallen down the steps.

But the fact that his Queen was unconscious, now, was a serious problem.

How long would it take for her to wake up? It was imperative for her to do so, under the current circumstances.

Yet Stark did not even know how such a thing could have happened.

Someone taking out Estelle, not even laying a finger on her - meaning the attack was long distance.

In addition, she was still alive, but not functional.

All the signs added up to one man: Alina's General.

How many illusions was she trapped in? How many layers? It could have been infinite. Yet, the true, correct reality was the one Stark was witnessing.

He simply knew that now, the defence of the city, and the Castle, was up to him.

And the offence was coming.

He heard glass shatter from the upper floors - and of course, of course the enemy would take such an opportunity.

Therefore, it was time to move.

Carrying Estelle in one arm, Stark made his mana-body have the properties of water as he ran rapidly upstairs, his pistol in his free hand.

BANG BANG BANG!

As soon as he got there, he wasted no time with his trained eye, and shot at troops wearing familiar-looking bullet-proof uniforms, their bullets instantly bypassing him, and his bullets instantly bypassing their uniforms due to their water properties, exploding once inside the bodies of the attacking soldiers.

To Stark, they may as well have been naked and completely vulnerable.

BANG BANG! BANG BANG!

Much like his prior fight with Remi, Stark kept taking cover, Estelle always held by his arm, and stealthily shooting at any incoming soldiers through the halls that he ran.

Once all the enemies on the upper floors were taken out, Stark allowed himself to phase through the floors down to the first one, handing Estelle over to the guards of Nero's twenty-floor prison - the most secure area in the castle.

Reloading his gun, Stark walked back to the throne room, opening the large doors leading to the now dark outdoors.

The night had come.

And below him, on the street leading up to the castle, he saw a grinning, yellow-eyed man in a ponytail and with a stubble, wearing a grey trench coat, smoking a cigarette.

As well as the very familiar symbol of a compass-rose on the man's rifle.

Tanks, spaceships, artillery, trucks and an entire army protectively surrounded the man he knew very well.

Laevad was here.

"Well hello there, Captain Stark."

Click.