Chapter 11

A few days had passed since Tommy had shown up to L'manberg. He and Tubbo spent the days making plans for the upcoming war. Tommy was determined to help as much as he could and he asked Tubbo many questions. Tommy also met many new people that had joined L'manberg recently.

Tommy had seen Niki again. He welcomed her hugs and conversations just as well as he had welcomed Tubbo's. Niki asked Tommy a lot of questions about what had happened which led to some uncomfortable answers. But he still told her everything he knew.

Niki also introduced Tommy to a new person, about the same age as Tommy and Tubbo. He was very tall and half of his face was black and the other half was white. He had one green and one red eye. He seemed very shy and self-conscious but Tommy's energy helped and he eventually started to relax.

"This is Ranboo," Niki said and Ranboo smiled shyly at Tommy.

Tommy waved back before Tubbo pulled him away to meet other people. He seemed determined to get Tommy to talk to as many people as possible, hoping this would help with keeping his mind off other things.

Tubbo had also introduced Tommy to another man. He was about Wilbur's age and he had black hair and a large scar over one eye. He was a bit chaotic like Tommy and they got along well. The man even taught Tommy some spanish who was very proud to now know a few new words in another language.

"Can you teach me some curse words, Big Q?" Tommy asked slyly.

Quackity grinned back and started muttering words to Tommy who yelled them out, laughing. Tommy was very amused by the fact that Quackity knew these words and was willing to teach them to him.

"Vete a la mierda," Quackity said.

"Vete a la mierda," Tommy repeated, though his pronunciation was terrible. "Hey, Tubbs! Vete a la mierda."

Tubbo scowled at him and Tommy laughed, playfully. But it stopped suddenly when Tommy heard his name called behind him. He spun around to see Techno marching toward him. Wilbur was following. Techno walked straight up to Tommy and grabbed the front of his shirt. Tommy's feet just barely reached the ground from being held up by Techno

"What the hell are you doing here?" Techno yelled and Tommy stared up at his brother, his face white with terror. "You can't just run off! You..."

Techno's voice trailed away as Wilbur lay a hand on his shoulder. He sighed, angrily and let go of Tommy who stumbled and fell to the ground. Wilbur walked forward and Tommy stood up, brushing dust off his trousers.

"Tommy, we—"

"We can't leave, Wil," Tommy interrupted. "We have to protect L'manberg."

"I wasn't saying that we were going to leave," Wilbur replied, calmly. "But you need to stay safe. I don't need you dead."

Tommy smiled up at his brother. "Thanks, Wil." Tommy turned to Techno. "So, are you staying too?"

Techno turned around. "Obviously, I'm staying," he said, indignantly. "I'm not going to just leave you and Wilbur here."

Tommy smiled and introduced Tubbo to his brothers. They still remembered each other and got along well. But they couldn't enjoy themselves for long. They needed to prepare.

------------

L'manberg slept soundly for many days. No news from Dream about the upcoming war reached their ears. Tubbo directed them all in plans and preparation. They were all determined to protect their home and they obeyed Tubbo's requests.

Occasionally, Tommy could see Tubbo and Wilbur conversing in whispers. He didn't bother them but he had a sense that it was about him. Tommy was resentful that his brothers were still keeping secrets from him. And now his best friend was a part of it.

About a week later, Tommy and Wilbur were sitting at Tubbo's dining table, drinking tea and chatting quietly. Heavy rain was beating the soil and buildings of L'manberg. Everyone was inside as Tubbo had insisted that they take a break from their plans. But Tubbo had not been around and Tommy knew that he was not resting. He must have wanted everyone out of the way and to stop pestering him with questions while he drew up plans.

Just as Tommy was about to take a sip of his drink the back door burst open. He jumped and spilled hot tea down himself. Muttering and patting his shirt with a cloth, Tommy looked up to see Tubbo panting in the doorway. His hair was plastered to his face and his shirt was sticking to his skin. Water dripped onto the floor, leaving a wet trail behind Tubbo as he made his way to the table.

"I've got something," Tubbo panted, his expression stony. He slammed a small book down on the table which had stayed relatively dry. "It's been sent by Dream."

Both Wilbur and Tommy stiffened. Tommy stopped drying up the spilled tea and Wilbur's hands clenched around his mug.

"What does it say?" Wilbur sounded serious but the sight tremble in his voice revealed that he was scared of the answer.

Tubbo took a deep breath before answering. "It's the—the date of the attack. It's the second of August."

Tommy's eyes widened. He hurried to Tubbo's side and looked down at the book that was now lying open on the table.

"That's...That's tomorrow," Tommy exclaimed, glancing up at Tubbo. "It's August first today, isn't it?" Tubbo nodded wearily.

Tommy looked back down on the book. A short note had been written and Tommy read it to himself.

We are at war. There is no mercy. We have burned down one of your buildings, we have placed TNT cannons, we have shot one warning shot. We have no mercy. No mercy for you. We will come. We will burn down your houses, we will kill everything in sight, and we will take back the land that is rightfully ours if you do not surrender. We want to see white flags. White flags outside your base, tomorrow at dawn, or you are dead.

Tommy looked up at Tubbo when he had finished reading.

"He can't be serious," Tommy argued, desperately trying to convince himself that this was all fake. Tubbo shook his head, not meeting Tommy's eyes. "We're not going to surrender, are we?"

"Of course not!" Tubbo looked up. "We need to find everyone, hold a meeting." As he said it he turned toward the door.

Tommy tried to speak, to give some comfort or suggestions. But Tubbo had disappeared into the rain again, closing the door behind him.