𝐶𝐻𝐴𝑃𝑇𝐸𝑅 𝐼

─────⊰ ✧

─────⊰ ✧.*✦*.✧ ⊱─────

   𝐀 𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐒𝐇 𝐖𝐈𝐍𝐃 𝐁𝐋𝐄𝐖 through Lorelei's dark brown hair as the hydroloop approached the bionic academy. She felt suffocated in the train compartment filled with new bionic students. The trip from Mission Creek to the academy only took thirty seconds, but it seemed to last a lifetime with the loud, excited chatter of the others around her.

Her emerald-green eyes shone darkly in the dimmed light as she glanced out of the window into the depths of the pacific ocean. The different hues of the ocean life could barely be seen so far below sea level.

The hydroloop came to a halt with a rough yank, the door opening to allow fresh air into the train. The students spilled out into the common area of the academy, joking that the hydroloop was of no use to them as they could geo-leap—which was basically teleporting from one place to another. Lorelei was grateful in a way for the hydroloop since she didn't possess that ability. 

'Welcome to the Bionic Academy for today's Orientation Day!' Donald Davenport announced, his arms opening in a grand, welcoming gesture.

Lorelei glanced up at him, clenching her jaw tightly as she tried to control her anger. She couldn't stand his smug smile and the way he stood so proudly. She was pushed in a line that Donald instructed to make, the other students already following his orders without a second thought.

'As a start, we'll assess every bionic ability you have and place you into mastery levels,' Chase said. He held a tablet in his hand on which he was preparing the program to report everything on. He stood out of the crowd together with his brother Adam and sister Bree, clothed in a white tracksuit, whereas Lorelei and the other new students were dressed in black sturdy boots and training clothes. Lorelei didn't mind the difference, she was glad to be wearing all black.

At the front of the line was Sebastian, who was once known as S-3. Lorelei watched as he supersped around the common area and used his super strength with the weights only someone with super strength could pick up. He went through his bionic abilities one by one as Chase documented his progress.

Chase seemed impressed with Sebastian, which Lorelei had expected. There were dozens of bionic students with tags ranging from S-1 to around S-30. However, Sebastian used to be one of the two leaders of the bionic army alongside S-1.

The line went slowly, as Lorelei absent-mindedly moved along with it. She saw many abilities come by, but nothing that were like hers. She was thinking of ways to manipulate what she could do to fit in, but couldn't think of anything. Her heart was racing with nerves when Chase called out for the next person; her.

'What's your name?' Chase asked and looked up from his tablet.

Lorelei's eyes narrowed at him as she quickly felt overwhelmed with too many emotions. She was furious, heartbroken and terrified of already getting caught. 'Lorelei,' she said shortly, doing her best to keep her voice from trembling.