𝐶𝐻𝐴𝑃𝑇𝐸𝑅 𝐼𝑋

─────⊰ ✧

─────⊰ ✧.*✦*.✧ ⊱─────

   𝐈𝐍 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐊 𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐒𝐓 𝐓𝐎 Chase's normal classes, every student was silently watching him teach this lesson. His skin had paled over the last few days since the arcade incident to a sickly, ashy gray. His usual dictatorial lectures had made way for him barely being able to bring out a sentence without coughing. He was trying to explain a fighting technique, however, no one could follow it. He kept losing his train of thought and none of his sentences made much sense.

His cocky demeanor was long gone as he had no comments to anything that was thrown his way. His quick wit had dimmed until he resembled Adam in his dumbest moments. Even his dark brown hair that used to shine underneath the TLC lights had dulled to a messy heap on top of his head.

However, the thing that Lorelei noticed most of all were his sad eyes. The spark that used to glint whenever he was about to react to someone or share his knowledge had died that night at the arcade.

Over the past few days, Chase's students and siblings had watched him deteriorate into a weak zombie, but he refused to take rest. Mr Davenport and Douglas had been working endlessly to find out what the projectiles that had hit Chase were and as more days passed by, they became more desperate to find an answer.

'I forgot what the official name for this next one is,' Chase muttered as he typed something on his tablet that was connected to a screen. 'But let's call it a foot sweep.' He showed several pictures and videos of the karate technique and pointed to them the moment the technique was shown. 'See, it's when your foot sweeps against someone else's foot.'

He sucked in a long breath, but ended up coughing because of it. Lorelei craned her head backwards to catch a glimpse of him. He was sweating profusely causing his skin to appear pasty, even though all he was doing was sitting down.

Her eyes kept following him as he stood up from his chair and walked to the front of the classroom. 'I think it's time for a break,' he said, his chest heaving violently. Before anyone could get up from their chairs, his expression suddenly changed. He seemed almost confused as he grabbed his chest and slightly swayed back and forth as he collapsed onto the ground.

Lorelei and Sebastian were the first ones to spring up from their chairs and kneel besides him. One of Lorelei's hands slipped underneath his head so it could rest on it, her head lowering towards his chest. Her nerves calmed a little bit as she felt the soft raise and fall of his lungs and his heart beating along with it, though dangerously slow.

Sebastian was busy keeping an eye on his pulse to make sure his heart wouldn't be skipping any beats. 'Come on, man,' he muttered under his breath, the worry creasing in his forehead.

Lorelei could hear Mr Davenport and Douglas bicker in the hallways from their classroom. She called out to them in a desperate scream, hoping she wouldn't have to let Chase's head roll on the cold ground to get them. 'Mr Davenport, Chase fainted! Come, please!' she cried out.