cinq

A/N: comment what you think, vote if it's swaggy

-barcelony

Chapter Five: Tikki Talks to Plagg

"You're being ridiculous, utterly ridiculous," Chloe fumes at Lila. 

Marinette watches in awe as the two go head to head. The two most obnoxious people are battling for dominance and seeing her childhood bully's vein's pop has her enthralled. The main difference between the two is that Lila can say a bull-faced lie after being called out by everyone in the room while remaining cool and collected; however, Chloe will start yelling at the slightest inconvenience. Chloe can't control her emotions, they control her and turn her into a shopping addicted monster.

"Adrien told me he thinks you're annoying," she says in a low voice, "trust me, we're close."

Chloe grits her teeth, hands on her hips,"I've known him my entire life, so believe me when I say we're close."

Lila stands with her hands behind her back. "You don't know him as well as you think."

Sabrina comes to Chloe's side, whispering something in her ear. Chloe sticks her nose up at the Pinocchio wannabe and decides to have a seat with her quote on quote minion. Lila stands there with a smug look slipping through her mask, a fake smile. Marinette has learned to spot metaphorical masks, being a new user, and Lila wears one constantly. 

The door creaks open, Adrien appearing. Marinette waits for her heart to break in half, killing any joy along with it, but nothing happens. He flashes his teeth at her as a greeting, a beautiful smile that'd once leave her knees weak or tear her in two does nothing. Nothing. She places a hand to her chest, wondering if the pain is having a delay. But no. She's fine. Kagami comparisons didn't ensue, the fake smile didn't go into overdrive. 

Is this was "get's easier" feels like?

A genuine smile dances on her lips like her favorite dancer, Clara Ningtingale. No hard lines or tension pressing against her cheeks. It still hurts but not the way it did before. 

After class, Adrien taps her on the shoulder. She turns, remembering to breathe. "Hi."

"Hi, Marinette," he offers a sheepish grin at her,"are you mad at me?"

She weighs her options. Lie or explain her love and risk getting rejected in a new way. Hard pass. Marinette shakes her head no. 

"Then, is there a reason why you've been so distant with me?"

"Wh-what do you spleen? Do you clean? Do you green?" Her arms move around her frantically trying to correct herself. "Lean. No, queen. No, screen...mean?"

Adrien stares at her dumbfounded. "What do you mean?"

"Yes."

"Huh."

"That's right."

Marinette thought Adrien was confirming he understood what she'd said, but he was genuinely confused as to what she said and is hoping she'll elaborate. They stare at each other in silence, wildly confused and frustrated with one another for not clearing the air. The bluenette excuses herself, saying she needs to go to the nurse's office due to a headache, leaving Adrien in a mist of unanswered questions.

She is halfway down the hall when she spots one of her classmates being consumed by dark butterflies. Hawkmoth! And is that...Chloe? 

I guess Lila's words really got to her. 

Marinette finds a spot, out of sight from the evilized villain. Chloe morphs, her hair adorned with an ornate golden crown, styled with intricate designs that resemble thorny vines and an ensemble of a flowing emerald gown with motifs of eyes and snakes. The bluenette accidentally makes eye contact, seeing glowing green eyes glaring at her.

"Marinette?"

She leaves her hiding spot. "Chloe, you can resist this."

"It's Queen Envy," she strikes a green bolt at Marinette, Alya swoops in as a shield.

Her best friend looks at her with green eyes. "I wish my family owned a bakery," her words manipulated by the bolts envious trance.

Marinette runs away, searching for the bathroom. She needed to transform and fix this mess. 

°:. *₊ ° . ° .•

Ladybug zips into her room from the balcony, plopping herself on the bed. Chloe was unbearable as an akumatized victim, the power went straight to her head. She attacked everyone in her path, captured Lila, and took selfies. This superhero was exhausted beyond belief. She'd be surprised if she lasted five more minutes awake. Tapping sounds above her. That must be Chat!

"Tikki, spots off," she whispers.

Her kwami flies to the cookie stash, aware of the drill.

Chat Noir comes in just as tired as she is. He stretches his arms, forcing a yawn down. 

"I can't stay long, I know I'll oversleep again, but I didn't want to abandon you."

Marinette understood how he felt and was honored he would abate sleep for her. "Come here, kitty."

He raises an eyebrow suspiciously, but doesn't question it long before accepting her embrace. He rests his head on her lap while she runs her fingers through his blonde tresses. They sit in comfortable silence until he falls asleep. Marinette strokes his hair, listening to the humming of his breath. He nuzzled her leg, sleeping peacefully. 

Tikki finds her way to Marinette's shoulder. "Are you going to wake him? He said he had to leave soon."

"I know, I know," She concedes,"just a few more minutes."

Marinette was out cold a minute after she'd said that. Good thing too, because Chat Noir had detransformed in his sleep. How could this kitty be so careless? Tikki witnessed Adrien's appearance, deciding her only option was to converse with Chat Noir's kwami.

"Plagg," she whispers.

"Hello, sugarcube."

"We shouldn't be talking. Your owner needs to transform again, or, better yet, leave and you need to make that happen."

"Okay, okay."

Plagg sings about his love of cheese directly in Adrien's ear, loud enough to wake him, alone, up. Adrien stirs slightly, sleep fighting Plagg's screechy voice. After a while, Tikki starts to lose hope that she can fix this. With the luck they're having, Marinette will know Chat Noir's secret identity, threatening all they care for. 

Not to mention how pissed Tikki's holder would be when she realized she's falling in love with Adrien all over again.