[Chapter One] | Reconnecting

An intertwined reunion is what it seemed like. A long destined reunion is bound to happen.

Could it have been a coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.

To the young boy, this encounter may have been an everlasting dream. He didn't think he'd ever see her again. Remembering that pained look on her face when he told her that he would be with his father for the majority of his teen years. Then again, he was the first real friend to her.

He remembered how they first met at the beginning of primary school. Yumiko had instantly gained popularity as she had been regarded as the cutest child there. But also earned a bit of undesirable notoriety from the other female children, acting quite pompous for a girl as young as the age of five. But despite that personality of hers, he didn't once stop and tried to befriend her.

That pompous attitude would end up cracking down whenever she was around him. The two became the best of friends. Friends until they drifted apart.

Only to be reunited in the future. But what were they now?

Surely their relationship could only go further from what they were before... Right?

---

They stared at each other for what seemed like years. Still in the process of scanning each other up and down to make sure their eyes weren't deceiving one another and were actually standing in front of each other in the flesh.

However, Yumiko took a few steps forward before stopping a little. A deep breath escaped her lips, her mouth quivering a little in anticipation, her eyes wavering in nervousness as she couldn't seem to find the words to speak. Y/N was the same as well. With the gentle breeze of the wind brushing his bangs to the side, his brown eyes mesmerized by the girl's beauty, and particularly how much she's grown in not just height, but also other places, he could still recognize that this was still the same girl he befriended all those years ago. But his nervousness in not seeing her for a long time caused a wind to stay caught in his throat, unable to voice anything out.

Yumiko then took another few steps forward. She was now stopped right in front of him, maybe a little bit away from him to create a little bit of distance, but not too wide. Her olive green eyes stared dead into his brown eyes. She was the first to speak.

"You're... You're really N/N, right? My eyes aren't playing some sort of trick right now..."

Y/N scratched his cheek, staying silent for a bit. He then ended up putting on a smile, almost seemingly making Yumiko's heart flutter as a slight red hue made its way onto her cheeks.

"Yeah. It's me, Yumi-chan."

The blonde girl lets out a small, but elated gasp, a small smile gracing her face. Normally, at a reunion like this, a hug or some sort of affection is to be expected.

But in this situation, a loud crack filled the air. A red handprint on the L/N teen's face as Yumiko had reeled her hand back and slapped it right across his face. He recoiled in pain, yelping loudly as he held and rubbed it, the stinging sensation of the hit still being emitted all across his cheek, the warmth that had emanated from her hand.

It was quite the powerful slap.

"Ow!" He looked at her in bewilderment. "What was that for!?"

"That was for leaving me behind all those years ago, jerk," Yumiko retaliated with, tears prickling at the ends of her eyes. "You really made me believe you weren't coming back!"

His eyes widened momentarily before they relaxed, closing them as he sighed. She wasn't wrong.

When he told her that he was going to be leaving Japan to live with his father for a while, it had truly hurt her. The way she ran away from him during recess at school, extending a hand out to her fading figure as she bolted into the school. It was natural for her to feel heartbroken.