[Chapter Five] | Lunch Chat

Yukino Yukinoshita, known as the Ice Cold Queen of Sobu, because of her genuinely usual cold and unfriendly demeanor. It was very rare to see her talk to someone casually.

People are aware of her because of her beauty and her stature, that of average height and build. While lacking in well-developed areas, her appearance and visage of her sleek black hair that spills over her shoulders and dips down all the way to her waist, her bright piercing blue eyes, and her fair skin has given most models a run for their money to some degree.

She's prideful, smart, and talented. What more could you ask from a girl?

However, what dissuades people from attempting to make friends with her is her usual unfriendly attitude, and the way she's often blunt and to the point when speaking, especially to point out the flaws of people, she's often perceived as someone haughty. But then again, that's the prideful aspect of her. Though the current students in class 2-J were perplexed. The lone Ice Queen was currently seen talking casually with the most recent transfer student, Y/N L/N. Such a charming, good looking, brown-haired teen had easily been able to initiate a conversation with the Yukinoshita girl, others who would have a difficult time doing so.

There's a reason behind this. Years ago, both Y/N's and Yukino's fathers had gone to the same high school and eventually the same university. The two were good acquaintances, becoming friends in their last year of university. They would soon eventually work together in some political aspects, Y/N's father endorsing and becoming a sponsor for Yukino's father during the election to get on the Chiba prefectural assembly, and Yukino's father would then promote the business in turn. Because of this little partnership, they would eventually hold little get-togethers and even dinner parties, mainly just to catch up. And it was at these get-togethers and dinner parties where the young Y/N L/N would end up meeting Yukino Yukinoshita.

But still... Who would've thought that they'd meet each other again? In the same high school, no less.

---

"It's quite strange, really. I didn't think you'd come back," Yukino remarked.

"Oh? And pray tell, why did you think I wouldn't come back to Chiba?"

Yukino flipped a page in her book. "Simple, really. Because you have a career path set up for you, don't you?"

Y/N rolled his eyes. "Oh, that. I suppose it has been laid out for me, but that doesn't mean I can't ever come back here."

"Well, I can only think of a few reasons why you'd come back here. Home sick, perhaps? Loneliness while abroad?"

"You could say that."

"Hmm... So, even you are capable of loneliness."

"Anyone is capable of loneliness, Yukinoshita-san," Y/N replied briskly, going back to his book again. "However, there are different types of loneliness, you could say. Some even tend to enjoy basking in it."

She raised her eyebrows, "Oh? And are you implying to me that you are the type to enjoy basking in loneliness? If so, then it wouldn't have made sense to come crawling back here."

"I didn't say that."

"Then why did you come back? I know it's not to come see me again. Aside from your mother, I doubt you have anyone else you care about here."

Y/N sighed. "I can see that you're still the same as ever, Yukinoshita-san."

"It's quite rude to assume that I haven't changed at all, L/N-kun," Yukino snapped. She flipped another page in her novel. "Then, how do you define change in a person? Perhaps it's—"