[Chapter Seven] | Shopping Trip [Part One]

School had ended and his phone was blowing up with notifications. Presumably from Yumiko. The first time he checked it when the notifications came in were three missed calls from said girl and then seven text messages from her, asking where he was and where he had gone off to.

Right now, he wasn't in the mood to look at anything related to her. Not after what he had witnessed today. Fearful of that very sight alone. That sight of his crush falling in love with another man just pained him. Opening a wound in his heart, a hole that could probably never be filled.

As he walked down the block, he heard a car horn honk at him. Drawn to the noise, he looked and only had his eyes widen a little.

"Mother?"

---

Of course, he shouldn't be surprised that his mother could drive. While she lived in a very well-off household that had its own servants and such, Eleanor was quite independent in wanting to develop her own skills for own needs in the future. Cooking is one such example as she is sometimes responsible for making lunches for her son, but if for whatever reason Edward wasn't available to drive Y/N around, she had the skills to do so. But of course, she also likes to take her own leisurely drives whenever she just wants to get away from the office and other grueling work that gives her stress.

Leaning his head against his fist as his elbow rests on the side bar, he gazes out the window with quite the bored expression. He briefly sighs, albeit a little saddened, something his mother heard. She peers over at him, eyeing that slightly saddened expression from the corner of her eye. Being the mother she was with her "mother's intuition", she could obviously tell that it had something to do with Yumiko. No doubt about it. When it came to that subject matter, she knew all the odds and ends of how her son acts.

Eleanor soon spoke up, "Do you want to talk about it?"

"...Talk about what?"

"Again, my dear son of mine, there are some things you can't hide from me. It has something to do with Yumiko, correct? Spit it out."

He let out a deep sigh before speaking. "You're already aware that I like her. But she won't look my way. Not in that light, at least."

"Oh? And why is that?" Eleanor had raised her eyebrows.

"She has eyes for someone else," Y/N replied swiftly, his voice rather dull.

"...Oh. That's it? I thought it was something more elaborate than that."

And, silence. A very long silence.

That was when Y/N looked at his mother in bewilderment. "Huh!?!? Did you not hear what I just said!? The girl I like—Ow!!"

Eleanor had bonked her son on the head, while also keeping her eyes on the road. "Be quiet. You're too nosy that I almost crashed onto the side of the road."

"You're not supposed to be hitting someone anyway whenever you're behind the wheel!" Y/N retorted, a bulging vein on his head. "And how can you sound so bored like that!? Didn't you hear what I just said!?"

"Yes, yes, I did, no be quiet already," Eleanor casually says, bonking her son's head again. "If that's the case, then fight as hard as you can to have her look your way."

"...Huh?" Y/N was taken aback by his mother's rather blunt response.

Their car soon began to slow down due to the stoplight ahead. Keeping her foot on the brake, Eleanor faces her son with a somewhat stern look, but poking her finger forward to his nose, making him recoil at the sudden jab.

"Listen here, boy," Eleanor began, "if you're going to simply give up just because she fell in love with another boy, then that's simply pathetic. A real man would simply fight as hard as he could to win her over."