[Chapter Three] | To See If I Can Catch A Dream

Unlocking the double doors to his home, Y/N stepped into the foyer. Slipping his shoes off and putting it onto the rack nearby, he begins to head on into the hall, the head servant, Edward, awaiting for him.

The man with grey hairs simply put his arm to his chest and did a simple bow of respect.

"Welcome home, Master L/N."

"Edward," Y/N nodded. "Is mother home?"

He stood at attention, "I received a message that she had left the office ten minutes ago. She should be home in but a moment."

"I see. Then, I'll be up in my room for a bit. Notify me as to when she arrives so I can greet her."

"Very well. An exhausting evening, I presume?"

Y/N slips off his coat and hands it to the butler. "Yeah. Yumiko is a bit of a handful, but that's just the way she is."

Edward merely grinned. "And are you sure it is not because you weren't mesmerized by her beauty?"

"Geh...! It's not like that..." A hint of red plagued Y/N's face.

"I'm merely joking around with you, Master L/N," Edward lightheartedly chuckles. "You needn't take it seriously."

"First Yumiko's shenanigans and now yours? You've certainly made my day," Y/N sarcastically says, sighing as he makes his way up the stairs.

Edward bows once again. "I bid you a good rest, Master L/N."

---

He pushed the door to his room open. Y/N didn't bother to close it, the bright lights of the hall shining into his dark room, a cone of light being blasted in.

The light just barely reached the foot of his bed, Y/N undoing his tie that went around and under the collar of his white undershirt before tossing it onto the rolling chair near his desk. With a tired sigh, he whips himself around and falls backward onto his bed, gravity taking over and he plummets onto the soft sheets of a bed he had not laid down in so long.

But he felt so tired.

Tired... Of almost everything. Even though he saw Yumiko today, it seemed like it had brightened up a small fraction of his day. Didn't feel like it was enough to dispel whatever darkness that plagued him.

A darkness that had plagued him since he had begun living overseas. It all began when he was sent to the business prep school, forced to attend an institution that begged little interest for him. To him, the world of business was something that was uninteresting and should be left to the geniuses of the world. Now, he wasn't a prodigy by any means, but he wasn't stupid. Y/N could be quite brilliant if he wanted to. But he didn't want to go down the career path of being an entrepreneur or anything like that. He wanted to make music.

Y/N first learned the taste of music when his mother took him to a concert, listening to some of the songs of her favorite artist. The band was usually one that specialized in punk rock, but the album they had played at this concert was quite different. Instead of the usual electric guitar and the thundering of drums, they instead played the calm and relaxing strums of acoustic guitars and the light thumping of drums, the way the bass accompanied them as beautiful background noise. And of course, the chorus, the way the lead singer and his bandmates voices mixed together in what seemed to be perfect harmony of calmness. It lit a spark in him.

However, not everyone wished to accept it. His father wasn't necessarily pleased when his son told him about his aspirations of wanting to create music. He didn't really lash out at him and be abusive about it, but he did give him a talk about how a path has been laid out for him, an opportunity too good to pass up was open for him to take up. While his mother had supported his wanting of becoming a musical artist, that seed of doubt from his father began to weigh down on him. A thought of whether he whatever it took to become a musician was nothing but a farce, a mere dream. But that ended up devolving into something even worse, making him wonder if he even had what it took to even get through life in general. Day by day, night by night, that single thought would ring and echo throughout his head, his eyes being aimed up at the ceiling as he aimlessly staring, his body feeling almost numb as he lay there in his bed, motionless.