пятнадцать

The family and I sat at the table for awhile after Alexei made up and we talked like a real family, and everyone was a lot happier when they realized I could understand them. Those who didn't really speak English were able to communicate with me, and it was the first time I felt like I was going to be apart of this family. 

This morning, I awoke to the smell of coffee traveling from the kitchen, like that first morning. I get up, do my thing in the bathroom, then make my way to the kitchen. 

Alexei sits at one of the bar chairs, so I go up behind him and wrap my arms over his shoulders. He back into me, and I rest my chin on his left shoulder.

"Good morning, Жизнь моя", Alexei turns and buries his lips into my hair, placing a kiss on my ear. 

I slide around to the side of the chair, and he moves one leg out for me to step in closer. Alexei grips my hips and pulls me closer. "Good morning, любимый". 

We move into each other for a kiss. It's perfect, as always. 

He leaves a few more quick, soft kisses on my lips, then pulls away so he can get a good look at me. "Listen, Darling. I have to go to work for a bit today, but I promise I will be back tonight. I'll text you a time when I know I'll be back, and I would like you to be ready to go. Dina is bringing you a dress when she comes."

"I am so excited to go", I smile wide. He gives me his little half smile in response. 

Alexei starts to rise from his chair, towering over me. "I promise to see you tonight", he places one more kiss on my lips. 

He moves me slightly so he can leave the apartment, and that leaves me my alone time to do my own thing until he's home. 

I go into my room to do my usual routine; shower, get dressed, make my bed , and wait for Dina. 

After finishing all of my routine, I sit on my bed and turn on the TV. I turn it to that same news station that I watched the first night, which broadcasts their evening news. The anchors report the weather, new announcements, and then Alexei's father pops up again. 

"The search continues for Sergei Sokolov, wanted for treason and other war crimes. As of now, the president believes he is still in Russia, so giving any information is key."

Dina suddenly appears in my doorway. "Piece of shit", she mutters. 

"Do you want me to turn it?" I ask, scrambling for the tablet. 

"No", she scoffs at him. "I hear everything from Alexei and Volkov before that channel reports anything. We haven't heard anything new in months. Honestly, I hope he's dead."

"What do you have in mind for today?" I change the subject for her. 

Dina hops into the bed next to me, situates a pillow behind her, then lays back. I follow suit.

"Just the usual, I guess. I have no idea when Alexei will be back, so we can't go out."

"And I think I'm shopped out. I don't know how you do it all the time", I tell her. 

She shrugs. "When your only job is to help Irina, and plan my wedding, things like shopping help fill the rest of the time."

Dina had already told me about her wedding. Set in September, all of the big details are set; she just needs a final alteration appointment, and her and Irina need to completely finalize the menu. 

We decide to order sushi for lunch from her favorite place down the street, and when it gets delivered, we sit in the living room to watch the Twilight Series. 

Once we hit the end of the second movie, Dina knows it's almost time for my date, so she stops the TV and brings me in her room to start my hair. She said what I was wearing was fancy, but not quite as fancy as the gala. 

She braids a few tiny fishtail braids on each side of my head and pins them in the back, then curls the ends. As she starts on my makeup, Alexei's name pops up on my phone on the counter. 

I'll be home in 15. 

"Guess we have to hurry."

It takes Dina about 10 minutes to finish my makeup, and every second she becomes more and more excited. "You know where I'm going tonight, don't you?"

"Yes", she squeals. "I helped him plan it last week when you were supposed to go. He thinks it's ridiculously cheesy, but we both know you will love it."

Dina sprays my face with the setting spray, then immediately runs into her closet. When she comes back out, the black shoes are in one hand, and my dress is behind her back in the other. 

"Are you ready?" She hops slightly back and forth.

"Yes", I exclaim. 

She pulls the dress from behind her, and it's absolutely gorgeous. It's a deep emerald green dress made of satin. It has a cowl neck line, the straps are thin, but accented with with shoelace-like bows, and the skirt is asymmetrical. 

"Alexei has a tie made of green satin, and when I saw this dress, I knew it was perfect."

Dina wastes no time shoving it at me so I can change. As I pull it on over my body, we hear the front door open. As I finish pulling on my shoes, Dina goes out to talk to them, and I can hear their muffled voices,; his is very stoic, and hers is of course very excited. 

I go into the bathroom to look at myself in the full length mirror and give myself a pep talk. You don't have to be scared of him. He's not Carson, and he will never hurt you like Carson did. We know it's hard to break free of those thoughts, how un beautiful you are, how shitty of a person you are, but Alexei has shown you already what it's like to be loved. 

"Lex", Dina swings herself on the doorway to her room. "He's ready."

I take a very large deep breath and follow her out to the living room. Dina goes off to sit on one of the couches to give Alexei and I space. 

There Alexei stands, in all his sexy god-like glory, in a light grey suit with black lapels, and that satin emerald tie. He stands with his hands in his pockets, and it takes a second for him to look up at me, but when he does, his lips part. 

Staring into his eyes, it already feels like the world has drifted away. Alexei holds his hand out for me, and I take a few steps to meet him. Once I put my hand in his, he squeezes it gently and pulls me in. 

"You are the most beautiful woman on this planet", he whispers into my ear as he comes down to leave a kiss on my cheek. "Are you ready to go?"

I run one of my hands up his arm, resting it on his shoulder. "I've waited a week for this moment. You have no idea how ready I am."