Chapter 2 - Where Babies Come From

The following morning dawned as sunny and warm as the previous days this June, so Kate and Anthony broke their fast outside in the gardens with the prince and princess, Lady Mary and Lady Danbury. Daphne, Francesca and Violet had already left to arrange something for the ball. They had insisted on helping Kate even more, now that they had learned about the condition she was in. Hyacinth and Gregory were playing with Newton, tossing him sticks and chasing the dog with exhilarated screams when it would not give up its newfound treasures. Eloise sat a bit further away from the table on a metallic garden chair, scribbling in her notebook as usual. Benedict and Colin had not yet come down.

"Are you planning on receiving your child here at Aubrey Hall or in London at Bridgerton House?" Edwina inquired, having not been able to talk about anything else than her future nephew or niece all morning.

"Well, the doctor estimated that the child would be born in the beginning of February, so it will still be off-season. And even if it would not be off-season, I would certainly like to be at Aubrey Hall nevertheless. There is so much more space here and the country air will be most welcoming for a newborn child..." Kate planned, while Anthony was nodding with acceptance and an excited smile.

"Yes, most certainly, and the nursery is so lovely here at Aubrey Hall! Lady Violet showed it to us just this morning." Lady Mary smiled. "Such delightful times we have ahead! The duchess's child is due in January and yours in February. Maybe this joyous streak will continue further as well." She smiled towards Edwina and Friedrich.

"Yes, next year will certainly be an exciting time for us. Aubrey Hall is indeed the most suitable place for a child to be born. I was born and raised here myself, along with all my brothers and sisters. And the fact that the children are due so early on in the year is a lucky coincidence as well, since the duchess and viscountess will thus have plenty of time to prepare Miss Eloise for another season in the society." Anthony smirked over his shoulder at Eloise, who gave him a murderous look.

"What are you writing, sister?" Hyacinth, who had grown tired of chasing Newton, pried from Eloise.

"Nothing of your concern." Eloise snapped back. "Here, have some paper of your own and draw something pretty." She directed. Hyacinth happily grabbed the piece of paper and a pen and started drawing. "But yes, I do look forward to meeting my niece or nephew next year as well, brother." Eloise added, seemingly gathering all her self control and nodding with a strained politeness towards the table. Kate smiled at her encouragingly.

"It is ever so wonderful to grow up with lots of cousins and a large family. I had the fortune of growing up with many cousins myself and I am delighted that our future children will have the same chance as well." Prince Friedrich smiled at his wife. "Now that we have decided to settle ourselves in London it is so much easier for our families to spend such lovely times together as this morning. Children are indeed the most precious thing." He concluded with an amiable smile as Hyacinth ran up to Kate to show her drawing.

"Here, this is for you!" She whooped, handing Kate the picture and giving her a quick hug.

"Thank you Hyacinth, this is a lovely drawing." Kate smiled. "Is it me and Anthony?"

"Yes, you are making babies!" Hyacinth declared happily and pointed at the picture. Anthony almost choked on his toast and the prince spilled out the tea he just was sipping on. Lady Mary and Edwina gasped and Lady Danbury tried to restrain herself from laughing. Eloise was the first one to actually burst out in laughter. Kate covered her amused smile with her hand. "How does one actually make babies?" Hyacinth wondered innocently.

"Hyacinth, that is certainly not a topic suitable for a young girl, or a civilised breakfast table such as this one...!" Anthony corrected his youngest sister, trying to hide his amusement as well. "I am so sorry, Your Highness..." He added hastily to the prince, who was dubbing up his spilled tea with a handkerchief. "My family seems to be set on bringing shame upon us during these couple of days. I assure you we are usually not this vulgar sort of company."