Chapter 12 - An Unexpected Guest

NOTE: Content warnings to this chapter are a (referred) threat to a character's life and a stalker outside the house. Contact me (via private message or https://linktr.ee/miss_islemeadow) if you need more information!

________________________________________

A couple of days after Anthony had drawn up the paperwork with the opera manager Kate received a letter from Siena, telling her that her arrangement with Prince Friedrich was now over. Kate waved the letter triumphantly in Anthony's face and she let also Daphne immediately know that the plan had been successful. Late at night that same day Anthony, Kate, Benedict and Colin were still sitting up in the drawing room, while the younger siblings had already gone to bed. Kate and Colin were engulfed in a conversation about comparing ancient Greek mythology with Indian mythology and Benedict was still working with his portrait of Kate, while Anthony - to the tremendous surprise of his brothers - sat reading Pride and Prejudice.

"I must say, Kate, that it is almost a miracle how well you fit into this family." Colin stated, after having eagerly listened to his sister-in-law's thoughts about ancient religions. "Together with our dear Eloise you must be the most well-read woman I have ever met." He added with a kind, admiring smile. Anthony cast a worried look at Kate over his book, afraid that she would start a furious rant about how women should always be considered as well-read as men, or something of that sort, but instead she just smiled warmly back at Colin.

"Thank you, precious Colin! And I must in the same way admit that I have never felt this much at home anywhere else, not even with my dear Mary and Edwina. I feel like in the past I was always forced to be a bit alert and strain myself around other people, but with this family I can be completely myself and finally exhale..." She smiled and let her head fall back against the back of the sofa where she sat next to Colin. Anthony's face melted into a smile, he put away his book, got up from his armchair and walked up behind the sofa.

"And we are so happy to have you here." He murmured, gave her a long upside-down kiss and ruffled her freely flowing hair. Colin cast a mischievous smirk at them, since Benedict, who usually was the one doing the smirking, was totally focused on his painting. Anthony paced up to him with his hands behind his back and studied the artwork. He let out a displeased snort and Benedict turned irritatedly around to face him.

"It is not done yet, you should not judge unfinished work!" He snapped.

"You have got the eyes all wrong, they do not look even remotely like hers." Anthony criticised in a dry tone.

"And what do you possibly know about art?" Benedict lashed out.

"Not much, but I do know a lot about my wife's eyes." Anthony pointed out nonchalantly.

"Do you not have your lady-novel to return to, brother?" Benedict sneered at him.

"Come now, Benedict... I do not believe that literature should be divided into male and female categories. Literature teaches us empathy, shows us how to understand the lives and feelings of other people, which I believe is an ability both men and women alike should possess." Kate scolded him softly. There was the attitude Anthony had been expecting from her already earlier. "An ability, which my dear husband surely can develop further." She added and smirked at Anthony, who gave out another displeased snort and returned to his armchair.

"Well that is indeed true, dearest Kate." Benedict grinned at her.

"I simply wish to know if Miss Elizabeth and Mr Darcy get each other in the end or not!" Anthony complained and opened the book again.

"Of course they do, you twerp, it is a romance novel!" Benedict sighed loudly.

"And now you spoiled it for me!" Anthony exclaimed vexedly and slammed the book shut.