Chapter 21 - Familia ante omnia

Aubrey Hall, March 1816

Little Lord Edmund Bridgerton the second was to be baptised on a sunny Sunday in early March at the small church in the village near Aubrey Hall. The guestlist included, apart from the Bridgertons and the Bassets, even the usual guests such as the Dorsets, the Duke of Stanton - who was practically family and would be married to Violet next summer - as well as Lady Agatha Danbury, obviously. The Prince and Princess of Prussia had for unknown reasons decided to stay in the prince's homeland since Christmas and would receive their child there, which was due at the end of March. Lady Mary had travelled to Prussia to be present with Edwina for the arrival of her baby, ergo, much to her disappointment, she missed out on the christening of Kate's son. For some other unknown reason Colin Bridgerton had insisted on inviting the Featheringtons, so they had arrived as well and Lady Philippa even brought her husband, Lord Albion Finch, with her. And, as an even bigger surprise to everyone, Violet's parents - Lord and Lady Ledger - had also announced that they would participate in the joyful festivities.

"Is it silly of me to be this nervous over meeting your grandmother and grandfather...?" Kate wondered as she stuck the last hairpin into her dark curls with slightly shaking hands in front of the mirror in their bedroom, which also partly acted as her dressing room.

"Definitely not. You should be very, very nervous. I must warn you that my grandmother is a horrible person. Grandpa Ledger is fine, but grandma... Just do not listen to anything she says, or at least do not let it sink in and offend you." Anthony replied, while tightening his white necktie. "Are we ready? You look amazing, as usual..." He smirked at her and gave her a kiss.

"I believe we are. I will go and see if Violet and Mrs Wilson are ready with dressing up Eddie." Kate smiled and gave her husband one more kiss before leaving the room. Soon she returned with their son in her arms, dressed up in a white bonnet and an extremely frilly and long ivory-coloured christening dress, made of countless layers of old and expensive lace.

"Oh no, poor Eddie...!" Anthony gasped and burst into laughter. "Look at you, what a ridiculous thing did grandma Violet dress you in!" He chuckled and took the baby from Kate.

"Well..." Kate sniggered. "Violet insisted that he would wear the family's old christening dress. Apparently, you yourself and all of your siblings have worn it as well."

"But he looks like an old lady...!" Anthony complained. "Poor little Eddie..." He sighed again and kissed his tiny forehead. The boy stared back at him with serious eyes, evidently not as amused as his parents seemed to be. "Let us go, or we will be late." Anthony stated, pressed Eddie tighter against his chest and hurried down the stairs to the entry hall with Kate.

"Oh, there you finally are!" Violet, who apparently had already managed to emerge in the hall amongst their guests, hooted. "Kate, you must come and meet my parents!" She waved eagerly and Kate followed her towards an old man and woman still standing close to the doors. It was clear that these were Violet's parents, even if they had not yet been properly introduced to Kate. Lord Ledger had the same nose and mouth as his daughter, whereas Lady Ledger had the exact same blue-green eyes, but in contrast to Violet's kind ones, hers looked like those of a bird of prey.

"Ah, so this is the new viscountess we have heard so much about." Lady Ledger huffed, as Kate curtsied politely in front of her. "Let me look at you." She more ordered than asked and grabbed Kate's chin between her bony thumb and forefinger. "Not bad, not bad at all..." She hummed like she was inspecting a horse at an auction. "How did such an unpleasant man as Anthony Bridgerton catch such a delicate beauty as yourself? Did he compromise you and then you had to marry him?" She asked sharply and Kate failed at holding back a laugh.