Chapter 7 - Under the Autumn Moon

Bridgerton House, September 1815

It was Kate's first day back at home after their visit to Stanton Manor and the Bassets. Daphne and Augie had joined them on their journey back to London and tonight she and Kate were to accompany each other to Lady Danbury's famous soirée for married ladies. At the present moment, Kate sat in front of her dressing table and winced as Mrs Wilson braided her hair a bit too tightly.

"I'm truly sorry, my lady... I just wish for it to stay in place all evening. Your hair is ever so bountiful." The old Bridgerton housekeeper smiled apologetically.

"Nothing to worry about, Mrs Wilson. You do what you must do." Kate reassured her.

"I understand you feel better in the mornings now?" She asked politely, while fighting to keep Kate's wild hair in a neat braid.

"Yes, praise the gods..." Kate exhaled. "I mean, God." She corrected herself, even though she actually still kept to her own Hindu deities, but there was no point in upsetting this elderly British woman. But Mrs Wilson just smirked at her through the mirror and Kate had a warm feeling that the old housekeeper, who had for so long been Violet's right hand, in fact did like her new viscountess as well. "It is wonderful to feel better, but I do wish I did not have to wait for this child so long..." She muttered and patted her little bump, which was now covered in lilac silks.

"It is most welcome indeed to have a precious little baby in this house, after such a long time." Mrs Wilson sighed longingly. "But these things take time, my lady." She hummed, making Kate turn around in her chair to face the other woman.

"Mrs Wilson... I have requested for my mother, or stepmother, to be present when the child is due, and she was obviously delighted. But I wish for you to be in that room with me as well." Kate declared, although somewhat hesitantly. Mrs Wilson's proud face immediately melted into a heartfelt smile.

"Lady Kate, I wouldn't miss it for the world." She promised, quite emotionally. "I have helped every single one of these eight rascals into this world. And now Lord Anthony is about to receive his firstborn, oh..." She almost broke into tears and had to pause for a while. "I assure you, everything will go just gallantly." She finished, still holding back her tears.

"I am sure it will. Anthony has apparently already booked the best obstetrician in the entire England to stay close by to Aubrey Hall when the child is due..." Kate grunted, a bit disapproving of her husband's desperate attempts to hold sway over a situation that so clearly would be totally out of his control.

"He means well." Mrs Wilson laughed and finished up Kate's hairdo. "I remember that Edmund was also terribly nervous when Violet was going into labour... The poor man fuzzed around her like a lost puppy. Oh, they were so young, and so in love..." She sighed and Kate glanced at her with a sad smile. "Just like the two of you are." The old woman finished with a soft smirk and fastened one last bejewelled accessory in Kate's dark hair. "There you go, my lady. Oh, that reminds me, do you wish for his lordship to be in the delivery room as well?"

"No, I definitely do not. But he insists on it..." Kate muttered as she admired her beautifully done hair in the mirror. "That man's head is incredibly difficult to turn around."

"Yes, it most certainly is." Mrs Wilson chuckled, but put on her usual quite stern face when there was a knock on the door. "Ah, speak of the devil..." She whispered and Kate sniggered as Anthony entered the room.

"Are you ready for your night out?" He enquired with a smile. "I wish to exchange a quick word before you leave." He demanded rather than requested, so Mrs Wilson curtsied and took her leave. Kate stood up and looked at him questioningly.