Chapter 19 - Christmas at Aubrey Hall

Closer to midnight, when the rest of the house was already asleep and Kate was not far from it either, Anthony had scooched himself down on his usual spot with his cheek against her round belly. This night felt even more special to him than before, since it now finally seemed that the relationship between him and his unborn child was no longer one-sided. He found himself pressing his ear against her body and trying to listen carefully to something, although he did not even know what, perhaps some sort of gurgling noise he could try communicating even further with?

"Kate, can I lift up the hem of your nightgown so I can hear better?" Anthony wondered.

"Hear what? It is not like the child will read a fairytale back at you..." Kate muttered, half asleep already. "Fine, but do not touch my knickers..." She grunted before gradually beginning to breathe more slowly. Ever so carefully, Anthony lifted up the long hem of her nightgown over her belly, pressed his chin against Kate's warm bare skin and propped his pillow back against her chest.

"Much better." He smiled softly. Though it did not help with the hearing – since there was nothing in particular to be heard – it nevertheless felt a lot more intimate. Then he cursed silently between his teeth when he realised that the fairytale book was lying far out of his reach on the nightstand, while he had just found such a perfect spot. "Well, it does not matter actually, I want to celebrate this special day by telling you one of my own stories..." He began to murmur into Kate's belly. "This is a Christmas story and it is about when your uncle Simon and I decided to stay at Oxford during the holidays." He smirked and realised at that precise moment that apart from this year's Christmas, that had been the only one he had not spent with his mother. He suddenly felt a bit ashamed that he had not even missed her today, though he knew that Violet would have sobbed as much as Mary over feeling the baby's movements. But to be honest, Christmas with Violet Bridgerton could be.... Well, quite tiresome. She was always fussing around like a whirlwind, trying so hard to make everything perfect that Anthony honestly believed she completely forgot to enjoy herself at all during the holidays. Be that as it may, she was Stanton's, Daphne's and Simon's problem now. "Yes, back to the story..." Anthony remembered and cast a quick glance at Kate to make sure she was fast asleep. Not that this was one of those Oxford stories she preferably should not hear, but he felt like he did not want to share it right now with anyone else than his child. "And you are actually sort of in this story as well, dear son. You will soon hear what I mean. So, it was Christmas during our second year at Oxford..."

***

Oxford, December 1805

"Are you absolutely, absolutely sure you want to stay here with me?" Simon asked his friend in a doubtful tone. "The last carriages are just leaving for London, so it is not too late yet. It truly might get quite dull here..."

"Yes, I am absolutely sure, dear Basset!" Anthony grinned. "My mother is a menace around Christmas, I would much rather stay here with you." He said firmly, as they walked down the stairs from their room towards the dining hall. Simon felt a throb of guilt in his heart, surely Anthony would have preferred to spend Christmas with his family, but he was simply too kind to leave Simon alone at Oxford. It was Christmas Eve already and Simon's governess had fallen ill, Lady Danbury had already joined some other fancy lady's Christmas party and since spending the holidays with his horrid father was not an option, Simon had decided to stay at the university instead. Now he regretted that he had not lied and told Anthony that he would travel home on the morrow, but he did also feel very grateful that his friend had immediately announced he would stay as well. In addition to that, Simon suspected that Christmas at Aubrey Hall would be hard on Anthony after his father had passed, since he had told of all the wonderful traditions they used to have with their family, but now they must have seemed rather pointless without him. Not that Anthony would have said it out loud, but Simon had in the last year or so learned to read his friend well enough to understand what was going on under his rakish façade. His eagerness to stay at Oxford could not simply be out of affection for his best friend.