Chapter 5 - How to Build a Treehouse

The next morning Anthony woke up in a better mood after having succumbed to his nightly pleasures with Kate, but his spirits were quickly sullied when he realised he had to face his mother at breakfast. Meanwhile Kate woke up feeling sick again, so she involuntarily parted ways with her last night's supper, freshened up and dragged herself down to the breakfast room, where small round tables had been scattered everywhere for the Bridgerton family and their many guests. Some guests seemed to break their fast outside as well, enjoying the warmth of this beautiful Sunday morning. Kate sat down next to Anthony, who seemed to be exaggeratedly concentrated on reading his newspaper. Benedict, Colin, Francesca and Violet were already seated by the table, while Eloise and the younger children were nowhere to be seen. Neither was the Duke of Stanton, who apparently was clever enough not to stretch out the young viscount's hospitality any further.

"Good morning, dearest." Violet greeted Kate with a smile. "Are you unwell?" She worried when she saw how pale Kate was.

"Yes, I was sick again..." Kate sighed and nibbled at some toast.

"Oh, poor thing... Do not worry, it will usually pass when the pregnancy proceeds. Here, have some orange juice and you will feel better." Violet fussed and Anthony instinctively leaned further away from his mother when she reached out to pass Kate the juice bottle. Violet glanced at her son with a sad look. Kate tried to cast a stern glare at Anthony, but he did not lift his eyes from the paper for a single moment.

"Thank you, Violet! How kind of you. You are so sweet to take such good care of me!" Kate proclaimed unnecessarily loudly. Anthony cleared his throat and turned a page, still paying the table party no attention. This made Benedict cast a wondering look at Anthony, Kate and Violet. There was surely something going on here, something he was not aware of, yet.

"What a fabulous ball we had! And now, such a beautiful last morning for our guests." Benedict tried to lighten up the mood. "I must praise your musical performance, it was exquisite! Or well, it was, before that pitiful Prudence girl ruined it. You were especially fantastic, Francesca! All those piano lessons have truly been worth it."

"Thank you, brother." Francesca blushed with a coy smile. "It was lovely to play with these talented ladies." She smiled at Kate, who replied with an equally warm smile. Kate also noticed that Colin, who sat next to Francesca, seemed to be as troubled by something as Anthony was. Lady Marina Crane had already left before the ball, so it made Kate wonder what it might be this time.

"Yes, a wonderful performance indeed! And the weather outside is truly glorious. Anthony and Kate, would you delight me with your company on a morning walk?" Violet suddenly asked with a cautious smile.

"I have to –" Anthony started.

"We would love to come!" Kate interrupted, smiling happily and then finally managing to get eye-contact with Anthony and give him that stern look. Anthony sighed deeply in surrender and folded his newspaper. "We can go right now, I have no appetite to eat any further at the moment." She added and bounced up from her seat.

There was a long silence when the three of them were walking over the damp grass, still dripping with morning dew. Only with a hint of desperation in her voice, Violet tried to open up the conversation by commenting something about the rose bushes they passed. Kate complimented the roses, but Anthony was completely silent, looking like he was feeling as nauseous as Kate did in the mornings.

"Fine, I..." Violet exhaled and finally decided to address the elephant in the room – or, rather in the garden. "Anthony, I understand that you are upset. But there is nothing to be upset about, the duke and I are just good friends." She halted and tried to look at her son, but he kept staring at the trees and the skies, anywhere but her mother.