Chapter 4 - The Ball

Despite having rehearsed together only once, Daphne, Edwina, Francesca and Kate gave out a splendid musical performance after supper. Daphne sang like an angel, Edwina played her bansuri flute beautifully, Francesca was obviously excellent in her skills with the piano forte and Kate herself was handy with the sitar. After three songs the guests had applauded and whistled ardently, thrilled by this mix between traditional English music and an exotic gust from India.

 Unfortunately their performance had encouraged Miss Prudence Featherington to sing as well, despite everyone begging her not to, which had led to a horrible out of tune version of Greensleeves, while poor Francesca had desperately tried to keep some sort of rhythm together and Prudence had loudly wailed on, not listening to the piano at all. Penelope Featherington had looked like she would melt from shame at any moment and Lady Featherington forced on a proud smile, while scanning the crowd for possible, perhaps deaf, suitors. Anthony and Benedict had such a hard time keeping themselves together and not burst into resounding laughter that they had to leave the room and Kate herself was hurtfully obliged to put on an encouraging smile towards poor Prudence and an apologetic smile towards all their other guests. To make matters worse, Kate was now in a hurry to get ready for the ball. She rushed into her bedchambers as soon as Prudence had finished and ripped off her dress that she was going to change into a posher gown.

"Do you not have a lady's maid for that?" Anthony asked as he walked in and noticed Kate donning on her makeup in front of the mirror. He smirked at her wearing nothing but a corset and a petticoat where she sat, staring focused at her own reflection.

"I do, but I prefer doing it myself." She replied and continued to line her eyes, before remembering she still had to find some jewellery and jolted up from her seat.

"I met the Duke of Stanton earlier, he told me he had requested to rent Nectar from us for a year to his stud farm." Anthony said, as he was changing his attire into a more festive one.

"Yes, he did talk to me in the morning and I tried to find you all day, but I was constantly being attacked by some Featheringtons, Huffingtons and Puffingtons or La-la-la-la-lalingtons! And then that poor creature wanted to sing as well, and now I am terribly late in my preparations...!" Kate exclaimed as she rummaged through her belongings, trying to find the specific necklace she was looking for. Anthony laughed, grabbed her corset-clad waist and turned her around.

"Lady La-la-la-la-lalington, calm yourself." He smirked and kissed her. "I think it is a great idea to rent Nectar to the duke, I shall send word to our lawyer and make him draw up a contract at once. And do not fret about your preparations... We can take our time, the guests will wait and the ball will not start before we arrive." He assured, and kissed her again. Kate sighed and wrapped her arms around his neck.

"You are right, I should not be this stressed... But it is my first ball as a viscountess. I want to make an impression and make sure that everything is perfect." She muttered.

"You would make an impression wearing any jewellery and any dress, my love." Anthony smiled and caressed her lips with his thumb. "You are a perfect viscountess."

"Thank you..." Kate said with a faint smile and gave him a quick kiss. "But I do have to wear more than this corset." She stated, slipped away under his arms and fetched her gown that the servants had already laid out. It was a stunning sparkling white piece covered with thick and elaborate golden ornaments.

"Yes, well you would certainly make an impression if you wore only that." Anthony teased as Kate held her dress up against his chest, comparing it to his golden embroidered vest. It was a perfect match, Madame Delacroix had outdone herself once again.

"I certainly would..." Kate huffed and pulled the dress over her head. Anthony started to tie it up in her back without her even having to ask him. Having spent their honeymoon by themselves on the road, without any servants, Anthony had become accomplished in both untying and tying her dresses. "I believe we should take part at least in the cotillion, the quadrille and a waltz. Yes, we should definitely open with a waltz." Kate pondered and went back to her make-up desk as soon as Anthony was ready with her dress.