forty four

"Tell me you have a back up plan." Jyn spoke from beside the two rebels, as she eyed small groups of people who appeared from their hidden places in the shadows. Kitra's eyes narrowed as she observed the cloaked individuals. She bent one arm and began to reach for her blaster, only for Cassian to quickly catch her arm in his grasp. "Not yet." He muttered.

The rebels and Jyn stood silently, eyeing every individual that moved. A sudden hum in the air rung in Kitra's ears, before a small metallic device was thrown from one of the windows and landed in front of the tank. In a matter of seconds, the device detonated as a shockwave of destruction spread through the square. A cloud of smoke blinded the Imperials from the Insurgents, who stepped out from the shadows.

Kitra quickly stepped away from the street's edge, before she was joined by Jyn and Cassian. In an instant, the attackers opened fire onto the Imperials as they blasted down anyone who moved. The peaceful square turned into a battlefield, as all that could be seen were blasts, smoke and bodies. 

Cassian quickly ran into the shadows, as he leaned against a wall with his blaster out. Jyn took cover in a small alley and knelt down as she also took out her blaster. Kitra ducked down and hid behind one of the pillars beneath a building, before she glanced back at Cassian who stood a couple of feet away from her. "Looks like we found Saw's rebels." Jyn mused. 

Kitra took out one of her blasters and peered around the pillar, watching the battle as Insurgents unleashed all of their ammunition onto the Imperials; disregarding anyone who was unlucky enough to get caught in the crossfire. Her eyes quickly landed on a young girl who sobbed in the centre of the square. A sudden sick feeling stirred in her stomach as Kitra spotted Jyn who sprinted out from her hiding place towards the young girl. "Jyn, no!" Cassian called out as Kitra cursed to herself. 

The girl watched as Jyn ducked out of the way of blaster fire, as she approached the child. Kitra's eyes landed on an armored Imperial who stood ahead of Jyn and the girl with an aimed blaster. Kitra quickly raised her blaster and fired a blast towards the Imperial, as her blast burned through the air, narrowly missing Jyn as it hit the Imperial and seared through their armor before they were knocked to the ground.

Jyn let out a shocked breath before she quickly ran forward and grabbed the child and flung her over a small wall to get her to safety. The moment Jyn jumped up, a detonator exploded where the child was previously stood, throwing a cloud of sand towards anyone who was nearby. 

Kitra quickly ducked as she felt sand and rock hammer against her back as another blast echoed through her ears. The ground around her shook as sparks flew around her, and fires lit in front of her. Letting out a small groan, Kitra sat up and took in the destruction. Her eyes quickly traveled towards Jyn, who handed the child back to its mother, as they both ran off, before Jyn slowly rolled onto her feet. 

The tank from before positioned its cannons towards the surrounding buildings, before it released a heavy blast onto one of the buildings, making it crumble under its power. "Jyn, get out of there!" She heard Cassian call out, as the tank started to rotate to its next target. Kitra let out a sigh as she took out her second blaster and fired at the trooper that sat at the top of the tank, operating the gun. The trooper fell limp before more blasts fired out from another street's entrance. 

Kitra quickly moved from her place and positioned herself beside Cassian, as they both took cover behind a pillar. Cassian glanced at her, as she blasted multiple stormtroopers from her place. His eyes trailed upwards towards a bridge where another Insurgent ran across before stopping in the middle, as they activated a grenade. Cassian's eyes widened before he quickly aimed and blasted the Insurgent, knocking them off the bridge as they fell to the ground when the grenade detonated.