my angel

february 14th, 2022.

valentine's day.

tyler wade was an angel.

perhaps in real life though, he was nowhere near the title.

ever since the move he'd adapted to the LA lifestyle well. it felt natural, given he was originally from california.

the nightlife, bars, people, and clubs were everything tyler could've asked for.

except there was no sophia in los angeles.

the separation from his first true love had been eating him away. he didn't know how to tell her how much her absence had messed him up. he didn't want to burden her either.

the problem with their relationship, was that tyler wade left new york without anything being official. they weren't together. they weren't dating. they were just tyler and sophia... which is what they've always been.

the void on the right side of his bed always hit him like a bus whenever he woke up. sitting in a dugout without her bossing him around made him feel empty. not living alone with her beautiful pair of hazelnut eyes made life black and white.

they weren't even fighting, they loved each other. but somehow tyler still couldn't live with himself. whenever the melancholy melodies of hozier circled his house, he could vaguely hear sophia's blue voice echoing the words. it haunted him, as it sang along to "all things end."

distance was supposed to make the heart grow fonder. but what about the rest of him?

sophia sent him a box of chocolates on valentine's day. it was the good chocolate. the freshly made kind from the little sweet shop on the corner of broadway. he thought it was thoughtful that she took note of how much he liked dark chocolate, specifically the type with the shrivels of coconut on it.

he remembered the sad smile on his face as he opened the letter that came with it.

"happy v day ty.
i'll just keep counting the days until i can see u again."

tyler texted sophia to thank her. she was probably asleep by now. he hoped the roses he ordered for her reached her apartment.

the golden hour was beginning to end, as the sun rays faded and the moon began to peek out from behind the ocean. tyler liked to believe that soph was somewhere out there also looking at the moon. at least then, it would be like they were togetehr.

tyler sat down on one of his outdoor sofas. he placed the box of chocolates on the coffee table, and took a sip of his water.

he slowly indulged in the chocolate. you wouldn't know it was possible for your movements to be sad when it came to eating chocolate, but tyler wade defied those odds.

it still smelt warm and fudgy. for a moment there, he would've thought he was back in new york. it was almost like he was back on broadway in the chocolate factory with sophia.

he took a taste of the candy delight, as another wave of heartache took over. he laid his head back on the couch, closing his eyes as he munched on the delicious treat. the flavor juiced him with a hint of nostalgia and sophia once more.

tyler opened his eyes, looking to his right as he realized he was still alone. his eyes became glum, and the tang of the chocolate began to taste like charcoal.

it's nice to believe that most valentine's days end well. but we all know they are far more likely to end in heartbreak.

happy cupid day from tyler wade.

xoxo.