miss me

april 29th, 2022

3:25 am. irvine, ca.

"andrew..." tyler slurred, leaning into his best friend as he opened the front door.

"tyler? oh my god!" he shrieked at the man's drunken state. tyler was absolutely sloppy.

the man pulled tyler inside and locked the door behind him. after, he called to his girlfriend to find the aspirin.

"tyler, how did you get here?" andrew questioned concernedly. tyler lived in laguna beach, which was almost twenty minutes away from him. there was no way tyler would've made it by car without dying this drunk.

tyler stared directly into andrew's eyes, letting out a deranged snicker.

maría came back from the bathroom with some aspirin, handing it to andrew so he could give to tyler. she was growing tired of her boyfriend needing to watch tyler wade 24/7.

"sydney dropped me off!" he giggled, accidentally bonking his head into the wall. he seemed unphased.

"the fuck is sydney?" maría spat, furrowing her eyebrows. she knew tyler was with sophia.

"kidding!" tyler said, sending mar a toothy grin. he thought for a moment, before his pupils expanded and he just went blank.

maría and andrew exchanged troubled looks.

"tyler, you need to tell me what you're doing here and how you got here?" the shortstop asked sternly. he was becoming more and more worried about tyler by day.

his behavior was declining and emotions were deteriorating. he was starting to forget who he even was. that day tyler left his phone in the locker room and andrew pretend tyler was asleep he did some digging and found out he hadn't texted sophia in three days.

well, she texted him. he just hadn't texted back.

when they first arrived in LA, he recalled the couple on the phone with each other every day for hours. obviously the season started, and it got busy. but, andrew and his girlfriend were away from each other a lot too. they still had the decency to text "good morning" or "goodnight".

andrew wasn't even sure if it was a matter of decency. andrew was wondering if it was a matter of mental capability.

"i was on the beach," tyler began, squinting up at his friend. he seemed so unsure.

"laguna?" andrew clarified. he wasn't sure if there was anything going on behind tyler's disconnected eyes.

"yes," he confirmed. he seemed less silly now. once he sat down, the disorientation was finally starting to really hit.

"did you walk all the way here?" andrew continued, looking over at his disturbed girlfriend. tyler looked bilious and she didn't want him sick in their apartment.

"yes. but i walked from the beach," tyler scowled. it was as if he was beginning to question his own actions as well.

"you walked all the way from laguna beach, to irvine?" he asked again, this time rewording the question. "you walked two hours to come see me, while drunk?"

"i was in a bar," tyler remembered, his brown irises contracting. "and then i was here. but i was on the beach."

"so you were on the beach, and then you were in a bar, and then you came here?" andrew refined.

"yes."

"why did you decide to come here?" maría seeked. if she was drunk and discombobulated, she surely wouldn't think to go to her teammate's house. she'd walk her ass home.

"i saw sophia," the man choked, running his fingers through his messy jet hair. "i saw her leaving the bar. and i followed her. and then she was gone."

"i think he ingested more than just alcohol," marí retorted with a grimace. he was pretty zaza.

"buddy, soph is in new york. she's not here. you can call her in the morning. do you wanna do that?" andrew exhaled, disregarding his girlfriend's snark. she was probably right though.

"can i call her now?" tyler whined, his glass eyes expanding.

"no, tyler. you have to go to bed. sophia's asleep right now, and you should be too. you should've called her earlier."

"okay..." he whispered, with a nod. tyler laid down on the couch he was seated on, positioning himself on his side.

although his body looked relaxed, his eyes were stuck wide open. it was an unsettling sight.

maría picked up the throw blanket from off the side of the couch, unfolding it and placing it over tyler. he didn't even flinch as it touched him.

andrew locked the front door with a long breath. it wasn't his job to keep this relationship alive when tyler was a borderline alcoholic at this point.

he may have to tell soph soon. and it was going to sting for him, knowing sophia would have to worry about him like this. tyler doesn't realize that he's not just hurting himself. the girlfriend he's keeping secrets from is going to feel it at some point too.

"you can go to bed. i'll stay here and watch him," andrew whispered to maría, planting a kiss on her forehead as he sat down on the ottoman.

"are you sure?" she asked delicately.

"yeah. i need to make sure tyler doesn't slip out in the morning. we're gonna have to talk."

"okay, i love you."

"i love you too."