16| Aly

Ed said that we'll leave in a week. Until then George and I are preparing our plan of action, performing all the necessary formalities, and brushing up every now and then. But right now, I'm in college.

Everyone was hogging the notice board. I tried to squeeze myself in but to no avail. Finally, after a few minutes when it got a little clearer, I got in there.

I came in fourth. I breathed in happily and smiled full of content. Then my eyes moved a little upwards. Ryan got the first rank, not that it was a surprise. I'm really happy for him but I'm also a tad envious of how effortlessly he does it. I mean, he never stresses about studying or even pays any heed to exams. He's not even here to look at the results.

Then I noticed that George got the third rank. Huh. Cool. Good for him. No, really, I mean it. 

I saw Ryan and George walking over here. George said something and both of them burst out laughing. It's adorable, really, how close they are. They're like brothers.

Both of them were here now. They checked their scores, but neither of them showed even a blip of joy. I raise my eyebrows at them.

"What?" Ryan asked.

"Seriously, nothing? No reaction?"

"About what?"

"The result?"

"Oh yeah, that's pretty cool."

That's it. That's all he says. Pretty cool.
I just sighed and get going.

............................................................................

Outside the campus, I saw George standing at the tea stall, talking to the vendor. He lit a cigarette and took a puff. 
A small stray dog fumbled towards him. It wasn't a puppy or a full-grown dog, somewhere in the middle. It nuzzled against his leg.

My first impression of George was not good but since the few months I've known him his image has rebranded in my mind. But after what I heard about him yesterday, I was suddenly terrified of what he'd do to the poor creature. He is certainly not the kindest person. The dog whimpered a little. I half expected him to kick it. And I have half a good mind to smack his face if he does so.

But George's face broke apart. His eyes lit up and his smile was so bright. It reminded me of apricity. Dimples. He doesn't genuinely smile that often. Except when he's laughing at his own jokes.

He scooped the dog in his arm, the other holding the cigarette, and crouched down on the ground. He bought something from the stall and fed him. The dog snuggled up to him and he laughed. The warmth of his laughter enveloped me, filling me with a sense of invigoration and bliss. This is easily the most wholesome thing I've seen. The so-called monster, softening up at just the sight of a dog. And people expect me to believe that this guy is supposedly a psychopath?

George cast a glance around and caught sight of me watching. He abruptly turned around and pretended he never saw me, the smile vanishing away from his face.

It's almost as if he's scared of showing emotions, scared of vulnerability.

............................................................................

It's been 5 months since I've come to Mumbai. All of us know each other a lot better now, almost completely, given that we hang out literally every day.

Well, for me, I already knew everybody. The new person I got to know is George. Not saying we're best buddies and I know him completely but I know him a lot better than I used to.

Anyway, I was cooking dinner for everybody. It's around 7. I enjoy cooking. I don't get much time to do it but when I do, I try my best.

Ryan peeped in through the door, "Something smells delicious. Whatcha making?"

I beamed with delight, "I am making Paneer Pasanda, Saag aloo, and ghee rice," I said taking in the aroma from the wok.

Ryan waltzed around the room and then finally, reached behind me placing his chin on my shoulder. 

"Don't disturb me. It takes time and patience." I chafed. And it worked because Ryan went away and sat on the dining table but not before passing me a dirty look which I laughed off.