CHAPTER 6: our old hangout.

I wake from my dream and groan. It was so peaceful and I swore I could still feel him messing with Kyohi's/my hair.

A knock is heard from the door downstairs. I quickly get dressed and answer it. It was Hero.

"Heyy Aubreyy," he says awkwardly.

"Morning, Hero. What's up?"

"I was just wondering if maybe you would like to hang out today?"

"Oh, sure. I thought you would be hanging out with Mari."

"I can't exactly find her."

"Oh, crap."

Hero and I head to the shopping area for a bit. I pick up a bouquet of white tulips with a small white rose in it at Fix-it.

"What made you choose them?" Hero asks me.

"They remind me of him. I wanted to come to visit him today," I answer.

"Oh, do you wanna see him now before it gets too dark?" he asks.

I nod, together we walk to the cemetery and find his grave. I gently place down the flowers.

"Hey, Sunny. Sorry that I haven't visited." I start.

Hero puts his hand on my shoulder.

"Uh, yeah I brought Hero with me. I thought you might like to see him too."

"Hey, Sunny." Hero says.

"God. Where do I begin? We all miss you, very much. Mari has been feeling bad about what happened. Kel hasn't left his room except once. Basil has just turned into an asshole."

"Mari and Basil keep getting in fights, I always have to break them off. I'm doing alright with coping but everyone else has been having a hard time." Hero states.

"And for me. I haven't been doing well. I keep dreaming of seeing you. It hurts when I wake up and realize that you are gone."

I look at the time on my phone, noon.

"We should get going. It was nice talking to you."

"Bye Sunny." Hero says.

"Goodbye, Sunshine"

Hero and I walk over to the park. We find that some construction cones have been moved from our old hangout spot. We hear a scream.

"That came from Mari!" Hero yells as he runs towards the scream.

I quickly follow behind him. We see Basil, shears in hand pointing them at Mari. Mari has scratches over her body, she's bleeding. Hero pushes Basil to the ground and disarms him.

"Basil!?! What the hell!?! Why would you do that!?!?" I scream.

"She's the reason he's gone! She deserves it! That FREAK DOESN'T DESERVE TO LIVE!"

I kick Basil in the face.

"What would Sunny think of this!?! OF YOU!?!?"

"You wouldn't know! YOU ALL NEVER HAD THE BOND WE HAD!"

Basil stood up and moved towards me as I backed away. Bringing me closer to the dock. Basil pushed me in, I kicked and tried to stay afloat but I was too weak. Basil ran away.

"Aubrey!" I hear Hero yell as I sink into the deep water below.

I could feel something hold me up. I was choking on the water as I saw Hero trying to help me get out.

I tried to swim up to him, but I was unable to. The thing holding me up pushes me towards him. I look at who was helping me.

"Sunny!?!" I said, in between chokes.

Hero grabs my arm and takes me to the surface. I take a big gasp of air as we get onto the dock. I cough up the water in my lungs.

"Are you alright Aubrey?" Mari asks.

*cough*" Yeah I'll be fine."

I look back into the water. In the reflection were Sunny and I. I was in the same position but Sunny had his arm on my back. Mari walked up to me.

"What the? Why is Sunny in the reflection?"

"You can see him too?"

"Yeah."

Mari sits down next to me. Sunny disappears from the reflection as Mari puts her cardigan around me. We sit there in silence.

"I would do anything to get him back. I regret every time I yelled at him. I should have known that something was wrong."

She starts crying.

"I never should have called him a menace!" She yells.

"Mari... it isn't your fault. If anything, it's mine. I was never there for him."

"Aubrey, Sunny never told you about his feelings and you didn't push him for details, it isn't your fault. Mari, you made a mistake but you apologized and immediately went to help. It isn't your fault either." Hero says.

Both Mari and I forgot he was here. We look at each other in embarrassment.

"Why don't I walk you guys home." Hero says, holding out his hands.

We walk with Hero back to my house. We discuss what's going on with Kel and we update Mari on our visit to Sunny's grave.

"See you guys tomorrow," I say before entering my house.

The sunset floods my home. The bottles on the floor and the dishes in the sink glisten.

"I gotta do something about all this. I'm living in a hog hole."

I start to pick up bottles and take out the trash while reflecting on the day. I hear water running inside.

"What the? Mom's asleep and I didn't turn that on?"

I look at the ghost-like figure in fear. The ghost starts helping me with chores. I snap out of my fear and I realize that they aren't here to hurt me.

*Aubrey is no longer afraid of ghosts*

A memory plays in my mind. Mari and Hero prepare the cookie dough for their cookies, and Basil watches as they do. Sunny and I wash the dishes together. Once we get done we all enjoy the cookies together, I wipe some crumbs off of Sunny's face. He promptly thanks me. The memory fades away as the clanking of dishes can be heard. I walk over to the pile and start washing. A ghostly figure helps me clean the rest. I then proceed to sweep the floor and I get out some ingredients.

"Hm. I wonder if I could make some of Mari's cookies."

I gather everything I need and start baking.

"Crap where is it? I need the chocolate chips for this to taste right."

A cabinet opens and takes out the chocolate chips.

"Oh. Thanks, mysterious ghost person."

I finish baking and take them out of the oven. They smell great, just like Mari's. I take a bite, just as good as I remember. A cookie floats and promptly gets eaten. The ghost shows his form not long after. It's Sunny, he wanted to help me. As I stare he notices and promptly jumps.

"... is it good?" I ask.

He quickly nods.

I finish up chores as Sunny watches. My mother comes down.

*hic* "Aub.. rey. Did you... make something?" *hic*

"Mom, go to bed. You're drunk."

"Shut up."

She takes a cookie and heads upstairs. I sigh as I notice Sunny looking at me, concerned.

"I'm fine sunshine. Just tired. I'm gonna go to bed."

I close my eyes for a moment, and when I open them, he's gone. I grab a few cookies and go upstairs. I fall onto my bed and fall asleep.