Chapter 2 - Prom

I wasn't going to go to prom, but mom and Belly convinced me. It was a 'once in a lifetime experience.' Yeah, like sitting in an itchy dress while listening to bad music and eating gross food was an experience. But I relented and decided to go. Taylor and Belly dragged me around dress shops because Stacy had already gone.

On the morning of the prom, I showered early and got some schoolwork done. I always hate how teachers assign more work towards the end of the year. Our brains are already shutting down for summer and they decide to shove work down our throats and up our asses.

Since both Steven and I didn't have dates, we just decided to go together, I guess sometimes it's okay to have a twin.

I got ready and put my dress on.

Then I did my hair and put my shoes on

"Girls, the boys are here!!!" I heard my mom calling from downstairs.

"Oh my god!! The boys!?!??! I am soooo excited!" Steven mocked and he ran downstairs, "What's up Conrad." I heard him say from downstairs.

I walked down next, meeting the eyes of Conrad and Taylor's boyfriend, Milo. If I'm being honest Milo isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, and I've seen my brother making googly eyes at Taylor so maybe something will happen there...Who knows?

After we take pictures, Susannah wants to approve them all before we can go. I'm standing next to Connie and Steven while we wait for Susannah to give the go ahead when I feel Conrad lean down and whisper in my ear, "He still loves you."

If my heart wasn't beating so fast, I would've been a little creeped out from his ominous words. But all I could think about was Jere. And how I still loved him too.

We made our way to the prom, I ditched Steven and danced with Stace and a couple of our other friends who, if I'm being honest, I hardly know. I see Conrad and Belly get up from the table when a slow song comes on so they can dance. They don't seem to be having too much fun so when Conrad rushes with Bells on his tail I follow them out.

"Fine! The-Then if you don't say it I will," Belly's voice breaks.

"Say what?"

"That we're over," When Conrad doesn't say anything she continues, "I mean we are, aren't we?"

"Belly-"

"Don't," I can almost hear Belly's heart breaking, "Don't say anything!"

"Belly don't leave it like this," I can hear Con's heart breaking too.

"You- You are the one leaving it like this," Belly's voice is barely a whisper. Belly takes her necklace off and runs to hug me when she sees me in the doorway.

"Belly wait!"

Steven joins us at the door and we all hug. Steven and I look at each other and try to comfort our sister the best we can.

Prom was ruined, but it didn't really matter because it wasn't ever going to be a special experience for me. Not unless Jeremiah was there by my side.