Chapter 4 - Graduation

I was closing my locker when I saw Steven running down the halls like a maniac, how am I related to him again??

It's been a couple months since Susannah died, and it's not like I ever see her when it's not summer, but sometimes it'll just hit me. Not hit, body slam me. Susannah is dead, and nothing will ever be the same again.

I decide to join the others and catch the tail end of a conversation, "Wait? Are you going to Princeton?" Taylor says, faking her surprise, "That's so cool! I couldn't tell."

Steven gives her a playful shove, and someone walks up, "Yo, yo, yo, yo!" It's clearly Steven's friend, Spike, who belongs in an insane asylum.

"What time is the grad party tomorrow man?" Spike asks.

"The band comes on at ten," Taylor says, automatically filling in for Steven, "I'm dating the singer," she says as if the whole world doesn't know with a mushy smile on her face.

"Uh yeah," Steven side eyes Taylor, "The Machine Gun Kelly wannabe. I tried to veto him from playing, but I guess we couldn't find anybody cheaper."

Taylor turns to me and Belly and asks us if we're going to the party.

"I kind of have to, I'm graduating," I say with a shrug.

"Ah- I don't know," Belly says.

I turn to her, faking a gasp, "You have to, Bells! Come for me," I say with my best puppy dog eyes.

Belly's counselor calls her over and I take that as my que to leave.

Getting ready for graduation is hectic. Mom is all over the place, except she's been like that since Susannah died. Steven's shirt needs ironing, and that leaves me and Belly to take care of everything. 

Grad fit 😝

Grad fit 😝

Belly carries in two little baskets filled with graduation gifts, one for me, one for Steven. We open the letters first, realizing they're from Susannah. She must've planned it before her death. I read my letter, tears welling in my eyes as I go on, Steven's eyes seem to be fairly watery too. I fold up my letter and put it back in the envelope. Wiping my eyes to not ruin my makeup I think about Jere. He was supposed to be here for shit like this. I didn't even get sent an invite to his graduation; I would've gone in a heartbeat.

I walk up to the stage and give my speech. I spoke about how surrounding yourself with the right people makes your past, present, and future a whole lot brighter. How the right people will push you towards greatness, and the wrong people will hold you back. It's important to be the best you can be and push yourself to the limits to achieve everything you dream of.

Steven walks up and gives his speech. We were both selected valedictorian of the class of 2023. We both were very competitive for the title, and it worked out for the both of us.