Chapter 3 - The Funeral

Jeremiah's pov:

It all happened so fast. One day she was in the hospital, barely holding on. The next...She was gone. Cass called me as soon as she heard but I couldn't bring myself to pick up. I knew I needed her. Needed her comforting words, but I was so far gone that I couldn't do anything for a long time.

I ignored all 112 of Cassie's calls. She knew me better than anyone, so she had to have understood what I was going through, the reason I didn't pick up. 

Cassidy's pov:

The call came early in the morning. I should've known it was bad news. Bad news is the only kind that really can't wait.

I needed a moment alone with my grief before I called Jere. I needed to comfort him, to be there for him even if we were just silent. Of course, he ignored all my calls, I know he saw them, but he wanted to be alone. I spent a whole two hours trying to get him to pick up. It was useless; but I knew what he was doing. So, I didn't take it too personally.

The funeral was basic. Lots of people who barely even knew Susannah. I almost doubled over in anger right then and there, but I kept my cool throughout the entire time. Even when the pastor droned on and on about meaningless things that hardly resembled Susannah.

Jere was sitting right in front of me, crying harder than anyone. I was trying not to cry as hard as him too, but I let a couple tears slip. It's not that I didn't think that Susannah was worth crying over, it was that once I started crying, I was afraid I would never stop. I saved the crying for when I was alone.

At the wake, I approached Jeremiah but as soon as he saw me coming, he turned and walked the other way. That hurt. Did he feel like he couldn't talk about his feelings with me? I was hoping that if I approached him at the wake we could go upstairs, and he could let it all out. All of his feelings.

Jeremiah's pov:

As soon as I saw her approaching, I turned and walked the other way, silently panicking. What was I doing?? This was my chance to explain things to her. For us to reconnect. But nonetheless I didn't turn around, I kept walking up to my room.

Cassidy's pov:

Belly came rushing down the stairs, seeming distressed. Conrad wasn't too far behind. He grabs her hand and whispers, "Belly wait."

Belly turns around, "What do you want? Let go of me!" People were starting to notice and shuffle around.

"Belly that was just Aubrey," Conrad tried to explain. I was starting to understand what was going on now.

"Sorry to interrupt your little moment," Belly replies.

"She was helping me," Conrad's voice is just above a whisper.

"So, you'll accept her help, but not mine?" Belly's voice starts to crack, "Got it, glad to know where I fall on the ranking of ex-girlfriends." Belly begins to move out of the way.

Conrad stops her by saying, "Grow up."

"Go to hell!" By now everyone in the room is looking at them.

"I should've known you'd be like this."

"What do you mean?"

"Forget it," Conrad was about to move out of the way.

"No, say it. Tell me."

"I knew it was a bad idea starting something with you," I could see in Conrad's eyes that he was lying.

"I don't believe you," I guess Belly saw it too.

"It was a huge mistake."

"I hate you."

"Good."

"I never want to see you again," Is what Belly says moments before disaster. Before she bumps into Connie and trips. Before she leaves through the front door.

I slowly walk to the front door myself, trying to be discreet. As soon as I walk out, I break into a run to catch up and comfort my little sister.