Chapter III - A Gamble

"Suspects of the attempted kidnapping have yet to be narrowed down for us." Yaga relays the current situation to (Y/n) the following day that the incident happened. "The best thing that the Gojo Clan can do now is advance their security, for the sake of Satoru Gojo's safety. As for us, we simply move forward and let them settle any potential internal affairs by themselves."

(Y/n) couldn't help but to see the backlashes of this choice he was making, "Wait, are you implying that there's a mole within the Gojo Clan? Like...someone wants to have Satoru-kun kidnapped? Worse yet, killed?"

"Most likely." Yaga confirms, "But it's too early to jump into that conclusion just yet. We can't even interfere in such a matter; as one of the top three clans, the Gojo Clan intends to keep personal matters confidential. No one knows what exactly they discuss with one another, besides Satoru himself."

"That's not fair to him." (Y/n) argues, "He's already secluded from the entire world. To what extent is it worth keeping his existence a secret if the Gojo Clan itself is one of the top three in the social hierarchy?" She can only imagine how frustrating it would be for Satoru to experience a strict lifestyle of loneliness and constant fighting.

"If word goes around that the wielder of the Six Eyes does exist, surely Satoru would become a target of several sorcerers; the inevitable outcome is that he'll become a bounty that is worth millions of dollars." Yaga explains the worst case scenario thoroughly, "As efficient as the Gojo Clan are, one can only imagine how overwhelming the numbers will be. And considering that our numbers, here at Jujutsu Tech, are always so slim, we wouldn't contribute to much either. The Gojo Clan are simply trying to prevent any needless fighting, for both their sake and Satoru's."

"What's more important is that Satoru needs to be trained, so that he can defend himself; both now, and in the near future." Yaga adds, "That's your job. The only thing you are to worry about, as of now. Understand?"

(Y/n) doesn't wish to argue so early in the morning, so she lets Yaga have the last say in the conversation, "Yes, sir."

~•~

The next time that (Y/n) meets Satoru, one week after the attempted kidnapping happened, she had decided to not start training right away. Rather, she had wanted to check up on how he was feeling, assuming that there wasn't anyone that dared to consider a single thing about the little boy that was merely a tool for his family.

"How have you been, Satoru-kun?" (Y/n) asks genuinely, sitting next to him on the courtyard's porch.

Satoru doesn't even bother to spare a look at her, "I'm fine."

"Are you sure?" (Y/n) wasn't convinced, "You don't have to hide anything from me. My teacher already told me that your family had upgraded the security of the estate, for your well being. Considering what I had already learned about your lifestyle, I can assume it frustrates you--"

"I'm fine." Satoru says more firmly, "Please, just drop it." He clings his arms around his legs, close to his chest so that he can hide the lower half of his face behind his knees, "Can't we just start training? I wanna train."

(Y/n) becomes concerned for the poor boy, "Training won't get rid of your troubles, Satoru-kun. Remember that emotions play a significant factor in using cursed energy; so if there is something that's bothering you, you must tell me now. Otherwise, we'll just stay here all day and just not train." They notice Satoru stealing a quick glance at them, before he continues to look the other way.

"It's the first time that's ever happened to me." It takes Satoru a few minutes to reveal that piece of information, "I already know how important I am to the clan and the jujutsu community, but...I think I understand better what's at stake...in regards of having me just exist. --" (Y/n) reacts to his words with a saddened look, "--Basically, not a lot of people want me around, do they? They're scared about who I'll be when I'm all big and strong...because I have the six eyes..."