Too Close for Comfort {26}

A/n

I ended up deciding to split this chapter in half, for anyone who was wondering. I have big plans for next chapter, just you guys wait. (I realized I messed up a detail on this and had to go back and change it days after writing it, so if you noticed, no you didn't.)

        Kenneth had been in a sour mood ever since Travis had returned from the apartments. Surprisingly enough, he hadn't laid a finger on his son, just a few verbal strikes. Tensions were high, so, to avoid the uncomfortable energy, Travis sought refuge in his room. His solitude didn't last long, raucous knocking disturbed his peace soon after hiding away.

"I won't be here tomorrow. I will return Monday afternoon, I expect you to uphold our household rules while I am away." He turned to exit, but was stopped by Travis calling out after him.

"What's going on?"

He spun back around to face Travis. "We've had major setbacks at the Ministry, it requires my full attention."

"Is there anything I can do to help?" Travis didn't really want to help, but was offering out of courtesy.

Kenneth thought for a moment, "That boy you're friends with, the freak that wears the mask? What has he asked you?"

"What do you mean, Father?" He had to be careful not to ask too many questions, Kenneth was unpredictable.

The Minister sighed in aggravation, "What has he asked you about the Church? He clearly wasn't interested before and now he is, I want to know what you've been talking about."

"Well, he asked me what time the services were and what we did there. He also asked me what he should wear, that's all I can remember." Travis was lying through his teeth. He had no idea what Sal was looking into or why, but he did know that the consequences would be dire if his Father found out about Sal's research. 

"I need you to be absolutely certain, Travis, is that everything?" Kenneth stepped closer to Travis in a threatening manner. 

"Yes, that's all he asked me, I'm sure. I'm sorry I don't know more, sir." Kenneth stood less than a foot away from Travis, slightly bent over to reach his eye level.

"Give me your phone." Travis couldn't force any words out of his mouth, paralyzed. His mind immediately went back to the last text Sal had sent him, 'can't wait 2 see you ;)'.

"I'm not going to ask you again, Travis." Tears itched the backs of his eyes, but he fought them back. There was nothing he could do, he either gave his phone to his Father, or he would take it from him. Travis pulled the small, silver device from his back pocket with a trembling hand, preparing himself for his Father's inescapable, unbridled rage.

"See, that wasn't very hard." The man's derisive tone made the hairs on the back of Travis' neck stand up. Kenneth reached towards the phone, but abruptly stopped as the sound of knocking at the front door broke the silence.

"Stay here." Travis scrambled to delete the messages as soon as Kenneth disappeared from view, though he knew he had no hope. There was far too much evidence, he would never be able to sweep all of it under the rug. The indistinctive chatter from down the hall was seeming to grow more intense, giving Travis the faint belief that he may have time to discard the proof of his sins. His fingers were becoming numb as he deleted more incriminating texts, but he pushed on, willing to sacrifice his own physical well-being to protect his secret. After finally scrolling through the entirety of their chats and expunging anything that could betray himself or Sal's mission against his Father, Travis advanced to the entry way. 

"You saw him?" The figure was hidden behind Kenneth's body, and was speaking in a hushed whisper, just loud enough for Travis to overhear.

"Yes, that's what I said. We need to act fast, we can discuss this further at the meeting tomorrow." Kenneth sounded almost panicked, something Travis had never seen before.