.

Verlaine tried to stand up, but his arms lost their strength and he knelt back down on the debris

His strength was weak. Unlike with the energy of a normal paradoxical singularity, the singularity created by Rimbaud cannot have an infinite output. He could no longer use his gravitational ability inexhaustibly like he did before.

But Verlaine didn't think it was particularly regrettable.

Things more regrettable have been lost today. 

"Why, Rimbaud?" Verlaine looked up to the heavens. "Why were you smiling until the very end? I betrayed you. And because of that, you died."

He knew the answer. He just didn't want to understand.

Rimbaud, the man who saved him from Faunus and gave him the freedom to live. Rimbaud, the man who trained him to be a spy and made it through dangerous missions with him.

Rimbaud, the man who bashfully gave him a hat for a birthday present.

"Why did you smile?" Verlaine said in a trembling voice. "If you become your ability, then you're no longer a human being.You're just outward information with memories and a personality. You must have known that much. So... why did you wait for me? Why for me, who you didn't even know would come..."

Verlaine finally realized.

At that time, why did he tell Chuuya how to defeat Guivre?

He hated humans. He thought it'd be a good thing if everyone had just died. And yet, he had given Chuuya a clue on how to destroy Guivre because he didn't think everyone should die equally.

There was just one person who was an exception.

A person who was enough to ratify humanity.

"I'm sorry, Rimbaud." Verlaine whispered from the back of his clenched teeth. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I'm sorry I didn't thank you for my birthday gift. Now that you're not here anymore... I'm starting to feel sad."

With his face towards the sky, his eyes closed, and his voice trembling when he talked, Verlaine went silent.

He stayed there for a long, long while, simply staring at the night sky.

⤗⤗⤗⥁⬽⬽⬽

Yokohama.

The Port Mafia.

The night comes as many times as the day does. And when that night comes, there are just as many eyes of the Port Mafia illuminating Yokohama as there are stars in the sky.

The wounds inflicted during the Assassin King case weren't shallow. Weapons, men, and several offensive ability users were lost. They also caught the attention of the authorities. Which was why, for the time being, they had to make themselves small and rigid, conceal their activities, and save their strength.