Chapter 5: Pardon My Past

Author's Note: My story is also based on the young adult book from Disney Publishing "A Frozen Heart". Everything is canon with that book except for one thing. I will explain it at the end of this chapter.

"Help! Someone help me! Please!"

A young woman's calls disrupted the peaceful morning in a small town. The majority of the townspeople were barely waking up from their slumbers. Some of the citizens did notice the girl but once they saw that she was a beggar, they rolled their eyes and left. The girl continued to call out to no avail.

Finally, a door flew open in her peripheral vision and four people exited a small building. The small group noticed the girl and calmly approached her. One of the people suggested that they bring her into an inn and they calmly ushered her into the building.

The woman's eyes searched the area as the group brought her closer to an old, wooden chair and gently sat her down. The walls were recently painted and there was barely any furniture other than some tables and chairs. Some residents were seated at their tables, having their breakfasts.

"Alright!" a voice shouted before anyone had a chance to ask her anything. The group turned to see an old landlord entering the scene in utter silence. "What is going on here?"

"That's what we're trying to find out," a man answered. "This woman was calling out for help and we brought her inside."

The landlord furrowed his eyebrow. "What does she need help with? Is she lost?"

"We don't know," a woman answered. The girl's eyes shifted to the right and then to the left. "She was just in distress."

The residents nearby overheard the conversation and turned to the scene. While the landlord was addressing them in frustration, the woman glanced over to the right wall where a long mirror hung. In her reflection, she stared at a young, beautiful girl with long brown hair and bronze eyes. By the way she was dressed, she could tell that she was a peasant.

"Miss?" the landlord's voice asked. The girl slowly turned to him. He was standing right in front of her and the small group stood behind him. The girl crossed her arms as she peered at him. "What is your name?"

The girl shook her head. "I don't know. Where am I?"

"You are in the village of The Northern Isles," the landlord answered. "You are inside an inn. Where did you come from?"

"I don't know," the girl replied, her voice shaking. She felt humiliated being asked all those questions when she couldn't even answer them. "I don't know where I'm from."

"What's the last thing you remember?"

"I don't know," the girl answered, shaking her head. Her eyes peered around the room before they locked back on the landlord. "I can't remember anything."

The landlord turned to the residents at the tables. "Do any of you recognize her?" The girl's heart sank as she watched them shake their heads and murmur to each other. The landlord turned and peered down at the girl before he spoke to the crowd again. "Anyone at all?"

The girl stared out into the audience with wonder as she quietly begged that there be at least one person in this place who knew her. She was desperate to find someone that she knew and could help her. She can't remember her past and the worst part was that she doesn't even know if this country was her actual home.

"What's all this?" a gruff voice boomed over the muttering residents. Everyone stopped what they were doing and turned to the doors. "Can someone tell me what is going on?"