Chapter 10: The Battle

While the pirates were doing their work on deck, Anna and Kristoff quietly rushed over towards a corner. After peering around for anyone nearby, they went towards each other.

"I wish that we could just get back to sleep," Anna yawned. "I'm surprised that I don't have a headache."

Kristoff glanced over his shoulder before he locked eyes back on Anna. "Well, that's not happening anytime soon. Where's Eugene?"

Once Anna saw that Eugene was behind the wheel with Golden Eye nearby, she pointed in that direction. From what she was hearing, Eugene was agreeing in a conversation that Golden Eye had begun.

"At least he's on Golden Eye's good side," Kristoff whispered. "I'll be happy when we get off the ship."

"Me too," Anna whispered back. "That reminds me, do you know when we'll be getting closer to Pazatrille?"

Kristoff sighed. "I have no idea, Anna. If anyone would know, it would be either Golden Eye or Eugene. I haven't talked to Eugene since we brought the rum up here last night and I doubt Golden Eye would say anything to us."

"He thinks we're pirates so he should."

Kristoff shot a doubtful expression at her. "He thinks we're amateur pirates, remember?"

"Oh, that's right," Anna groaned. She peered back over at Eugene and saw that he was engrossed in Golden Eye's conversation. "We could ask Eugene."

Kristoff nodded. "We just have to wait until Golden Eye stops talking to him." He stretched his arms out and a yawn escaped. "I still can't believe he woke us up so early and it was all for a stupid false alarm."

"Well, look at the bright side, Kristoff," Anna brightly said. "We didn't attack Maui or anyone."

"Good point," Kristoff agreed. After letting out a loud laugh, Golden Eye moved away from Eugene and started to head towards the middle of the ship. "Now's our chance."

Their opportunity was spoiled, though, when Golden Eye ordered everyone to the middle of the ship, Anna and Kristoff had no choice but to do what they were told. Anna yawned as she went towards the middle.

After making sure that everyone was paying attention, Golden Eye took a large gulp from his bottle of rum and peered at his crew. "See, mates, it ain't so bad to be up so early now, is it? Ye all got lots of work finished. We still have loads of work and we need to...."

While Golden Eye was talking, Anna found herself staring at the ground with her eyes almost shutting due to lack of sleep. That was one thing that she was looking forward to when they got off this ship, got the map back from Puck, and headed to Bronzadelle—she would be able to sleep in at the cottage that they would rent from Wadsworth. She couldn't wait to see what the cottage would look like.

Just then Anna realized that Golden Eye had stopped talking. After a few minutes of silence, she slowly peered up and saw that Golden Eye and the entire crew were staring right at her. Well, that was awkward. Why was everyone staring at her? What had Golden Eye said that made everyone quiet? The main question was why was she suddenly the center of attention? What had she done?

"Okay, what's up, mates?" Anna slurred with a smile.

Golden Eye spun around to Peepers. "Peepers, why don't ye tell Adrie what she and Jake will be doing today? She seemed to be off in la la land."

Before Peepers could speak, Anna cut in. "I thought that you—ye said that me and Kr—Jake will be taking turns between being a powder monkey and a swab?"

"That's right, I did, didn't I?" Golden Eye mused. "For amateurs, ye know yer jobs?" He peered over at Eugene. "Rider, what were their jobs on Lady Caine's crew?"