Chapter 18: The Race

As Rapunzel plucked the guitar strings, ending the music, the crowd applauded and raced over to her. She had to admit that this was a decent crowd for an afternoon. She placed the guitar on the ground next to her as money was being donated to her.

"Thank you." Rapunzel smiled, watching the last person drop change into her hat. "Thank you."

As the last group backed away, Rapunzel bent on her knees and peered down at the piles of money. Pascal jumped off her shoulder and into the hat. They listened to the people chattering in the background as Rapunzel and Pascal counted the money. Within a second, the sound of tiny raindrops intermingled with the chattering.

"Mandy!"

Rapunzel peered up where Moana broke through the crowd and darted over towards her. Pascal continued to count the money while she kept her eyes on Moana. "Moana, did you find out where they're racing?"

Moana nodded and pointed to the North. "It's right outside of town and by a bridge next to the ocean. I heard that it takes a half hour to get there. Sisu just left to see how to get there."

"Great!" Rapunzel nodded. "Where's Olaf, Pua, and Hei Hei? Are they still with Sisu? I know that they were going to that one candle shop they saw earlier."

Moana shook her head. "No, Sisu dropped them off at the camp before she left. I gave Olaf parchment and paint to keep himself occupied." The clicking sound caused her to look down at Pascal who just threw the last coin in the hat. "How much money did you make?"

After Pascal chattered to her, Rapunzel replied, "Forty-five gold pieces. That's more than we got yesterday." In the background, a mother was scolding her two children for fighting over something. "We'll have enough for supplies."

"Great! After the race, we'll get more supplies before we leave," Moana declared. Three people hurriedly raced past them. "Do you have any idea where you're heading?"

Rapunzel blew a strand of hair out of her eyes. It was still a surprise that it was shoulder length. "I'll talk about it with Olaf and Pascal. You, Sisu, Aolani, and Luano could help too."

"If everything works out that is." Moana crossed her arms. "Mandy, do you think we'll win that race?"

"I'm sure we will, Moana," Rapunzel answered. Despite her optimism, she even was unsure. They have had yet to see Trevor's guard and the other racers. Who knew what they could be up against? "You're a master way-finder and Sisu's a really strong swimmer. I can't think of how we would lose. If that happens, we could. . ." Before she knew it, Rapunzel was droning on about what would happen if they lost. It garnered a look from both Pascal and Moana. "If that doesn't work, we could—"

"Let's just worry about beating Trevor," Moana interrupted. Pascal furrowed his eyebrows at Rapunzel. "Sorry. I don't want to think about the boys being sent away."

Once she caught Moana's expression, Rapunzel regretted overthinking. Instead of coming up with solutions, she'd unintendedly caused her friend to worry more. "Oh, I'm sorry, Moana! I didn't mean to—"

"It's fine, Mandy," Moana assured. "I know that you're just trying to help." A sigh escaped her lips as she ran her fingers through her hair, tucking them behind her ears. "I don't get why Trevor couldn't just let the boys stay with us until the race."

"I know. I don't like it either," Rapunzel agreed. Shortly after they'd signed up for the race, Trevor ordered his guards to have the boys locked up. They had fought for the boys to stay with them, but the governor had sided with Trevor on the condition that they'd be at the race under custody until the outcome of the deal. "At least we have a chance to get them back."