Chapter 6: A Low Profile

Blearily, emerald eyes fluttered open and shut again immediately when the sunlight blurred their vision. Rapunzel blinked a few more times before she finally kept her eyes open, focusing on the large clouds instead of the sunlight. Her stamina was back, but her legs were cramped and she had no desire to leave.

The heat was frying her as the sun gazed at the entire area. She stayed in the tall grass and closed her eyes as she stretched her arms out, pretending that she was back in Corona. For a moment, it almost felt like she was in her bed, but the thought of Eugene not being by her side brought her spirits down.

A smile appeared on her face as Pascal crawled onto her chest and she heard Olaf laughing about something. She wished that they were in the garden in Corona or Arendelle just like they should be. A smile faded away from her when reality hit her. When she saw that it was morning, she began to wonder how long they had been sleeping after having run for such a long time.

"Rapunzel, look!" Olaf effused.

Rapunzel rose from the ground and watched as Olaf blew a dandelion, causing her to chuckle. She felt Pascal crawl on her lap and heard him squeak. She smiled as she peered down at her oldest friend, petting him, and peered back up at Olaf.

As Rapunzel surveyed the area, she saw that there were at least three paper birches with a red robin sitting on one branch and sparrows flying close by. The bright sun embraced over the tall grass with dandelions and the cool breeze blew at the grass, sending the dandelion fuzz to float in the air.

"Rapunzel?" Olaf asked, wobbling over to her. Rapunzel's eyes focused on him as she held Pascal on her lap. "Do you know how long we were running last night?"

Rapunzel sighed as her stiff legs reminded her of everything that occurred. "I don't know," she answered. The last thing she remembered was that she, Olaf, and Pascal decided to take a fifteen-minute break before running off again. They must've been so worn out that they ended up dozing off for the rest of the night. "We ran for a long time and I still feel exhausted."

"Do you think we got away from them?"

Rapunzel turned back in the direction that they'd run from night. It was safe to say that they were far away from the guards for now, but it could change at any moment. "We have a good distance between them for now." She peered down at Pascal who chattered to her. "I'm not sure, Pascal but I think we're far away from them. They're still looking for us, but they don't know where we are." She stroked his head gently as Pascal chattered to her. "I hope not. We just have to make the best of it."

Rapunzel lifted her head as Olaf released the flower before it disappeared into the grass. "What are we going to do now?" he asked, leaning his head towards her. "Do we have to run again?"

"We'll rest here for a few more minutes before we leave," Rapunzel replied sweetly. She wished that they could stay here all day, but she knew that it was impossible because of her predicament with the law. "We won't be running, but we can't be very slow. We'll just have to keep our eye out for any guards. For now, let's just sit back and enjoy the moment. It is beautiful around here."

Olaf sat down beside Rapunzel in the tall grass and she smiled at him. He didn't deserve to be in this mess with her. Same with Pascal. The worst part was she doesn't have a clue as to how this all had happened. They had just arrived in town, wandered around to find her cousin, and then out of nowhere, she was being arrested for murder.

"Wow!" Oaf exclaimed. Her thoughts were interrupted when she felt her friend tap on her shoulder. "Rapunzel, you have got to see this!"

"What is it, Olaf?"

"Look!"

Rapunzel turned in the direction the snowman was pointing at and her jaw dropped when she saw that there was a cocoon hanging on a tall piece of grass. The trio slowly smiled as the cocoon was ripping in the middle like something was just about to come out. A red butterfly pushed its way out of the cocoon, flew over to the trio, and landed on Olaf's nose. Olaf's smile grew wide open as he gawked at the butterfly. Shortly after, the butterfly flew off of his nose, and Rapunzel, Olaf, and Pascal watched it fly in the opposite direction in the bright sunlight.