Chapter 19: The Cipher

Tick tock. Tick tock. Tick tock.

Anna was on the ground, her legs propped up against the grandfather clock and her braids splayed out. Everyone else had left earlier in the morning to get groceries. She and Varian had offered to help, but they told them that it was fine.

Tick tock. Tick tock. Tick tock.

These past few hours hadn't gone by at all. Anna imitated the ticking as her eyes followed the clock's movement. This brings back memories.

Tick tock. Tick tock. Tick tock.

The clock chimed a soft, majestic melody that made her want to stay like this forever. It was peaceful, relaxing, nostalgic, and soothing her. She felt like she was taken back to the simpler times as a child, apart from being locked away and separated from her sister.

When the chimes faded, Anna went back to imitating the clock for a few minutes until chittering came into the room and Ruddiger crawled on her stomach, looking down at her with a curious glance.

"Sorry, pal." Anna chuckled. New footsteps neared them. "We're out of apples. I promise that I'll give you one when everyone comes back."

"Ah, there you are, Ruddiger!" Varian's voice exclaimed. Anna turned her head in time to see him approach them. "Hey Anna. What's up?"

"Nothing much." Anna rose from the ground with Ruddiger still on her stomach. "What about you, Varian?"

"I've been working on the map," Varian answered. Ruddiger smiled as Anna petted him. "Dad's going to help me when he gets back."

"How long have you been working on it?"

"Since they left. I got hungry so I'm going to make lunch and then get back to work."

"If you want, I can make us lunch and then I'll help you," Anna offered. Ruddiger raced over to Varian. "I have nothing to do anyway."

"Really? That'd be great! Thanks!"

Anna strolled towards the door. "No problem."

. . . . .

After Anna made lunch, she placed her and Varian's ham sandwiches on one plate and sandwiches for the others on a plate next to a kettle. She held cups against her chest with one arm while she held the plate in the other. She continued down the hall until she reached a door. She struggled to pull the door open but managed just fine despite nearly dropping their lunch.

Varian lifted his mask. "Here! I'll help."

"Nah, it's fine, Varian," Anna said, shutting the door behind her, nearly spilling the drinks.

"Oh, don't sweat it." Varian went around the table, holding on to some kind of weapon. Anna's eyes widened as he came towards a small ball on the ground. "It'll—"

"Watch out for—"

It was too late. As Varian stepped backward, he accidentally pulled something on his weapon, and some blue goo shot out. The goo flew straight toward one of his machines. Once it hit the machine, the goo ricocheted straight toward Anna, but she dunked and it flew toward Ruddiger. Luckily, Ruddiger swung it away with a frying pan and the goo hit one of the windows. Anna winced as she watched the blue cover the entire glass.

Varian chuckled sheepishly at the window. "Wow, I didn't see that coming! At least I know that works now."

Anna placed the sandwiches and cocoas on the table before she helped him up. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm good," Varian assured, picking the ball off the ground. "I thought I put this away. Must've fallen down this morning when I was testing the Darianimum Keeper."