June 30

I woke up to a gentle tapping on my bedroom door.

"Hmmmpph," I managed to force some sound out.

"Um, Jordan?" Nate was peeking in the slightly ajar door. "You left your cell phone in the shed last night. It looks like your friends are trying to get a hold of you."

"Thanks," I scrambled out of the bed and grabbed the phone from him. I could tell from the notifications that the Ditzy Duo were on about something.

I had 20 unread messages.

Flopping back down on the bed, I unlocked the phone and began scrolling through the group chat.

Kari: OMG JORDAN – ARE YOU OK? YOU TOTALLY SPAZZED ON SCOTTY YESTERDAY!

Kari: WHAT DID HE DO?! WHAT DID U DO?!

Holly: Kari calm down

Holly: Jordy you won't have to answer about Scotty if you don't want

Kari: I know he can be a real ass but what did he do so bad that u had to spazz?

Holly: You can talk to us - but you don't have to

Kari: We also saw the new hot guy chased you

Holly: Nate? OMG Jordo are you guys tight? He is so friggin' cute

Kari: OMG he is gorgey. He's like crazy tall and those muscles *drool*

Holly: I'd do him in a second

Kari: I'd do him in a nanosecond

Holly: I made eye contact w him and I swear I orgasmed on the spot

Kari: I don't know how you live in the same house as him and haven't tried to jump his bones yet

Holly: Did he offer you a ride, if you know what I mean??

Kari: Obvi she's ignoring us all tonight

Holly: Jordy – let us know wtf is going on with Nate. We're on a need to know basis

Kari: That's not what that phrase means you dipwad

Holly: Yes, we "need to know"

Kari: No. Now ur annoying me. Jordo – text us back when you get these messages. I'm out.

Just the thought of talking to those imbeciles so early in the morning made me want to crawl back under the covers.

My remaining unread message was from Barb: Don't come into work today. I've granted you the day off to go and do SOMETHING FUN. Don't disappoint me hun. And don't try to come creeping in here later in the day.

I tucked my phone under my pillow and went to take a shower. Forty-five minutes later, I had managed to put my wet hair up into a half-assed bun and my standard uniform of leggings and a tank top.

I didn't know what SOMETHING FUN was anymore. I found myself sitting on the back patio, watching the blades of grass grow in the morning sunlight and half-heartedly eating a peanut butter sandwich. This was a fun as it was going to get for me today.

I hadn't written to Nicholas in some time. Maybe he could just hear my thoughts.

Dear Nicholas,

I'm messing everything up. How am I going to make it through this last summer in the God awful town without you? All I want to do is crawl into a hole and disappear. Did you see what happened with Scotty yesterday? It was like he is intentionally trying to make me angry. How were you ever friends with him? Did you know he was such an asshole?