July 7

I woke with my head feeling like it was about to explode. It hurt so bad that I pulled the pillow from my bed and pressed it down over my head to push against the pressure I was feeling inside my skull.

"Are you ok?" Holly rolled over in the bed beside me. "Let me get you some painkillers."

Tears flowed out of my eyes. I really wanted to wake up and have this mess behind me. After I had told my dad and Nate's family about my competition, I had a renewed sense of motivation to amp up my training for the end of the month. And now Scotty has taken that away from me.

Holly re-entered the room with a glass of water, some painkillers and a plate of toast.

"I thought you should have something to eat with them too, so I made you some toast, if you're up to it."

"Thank you," I sat up to take the medication and put the plate of toast on my night stand.

"Your phone has beeping all morning," Holly pointed to the cell laying on my folded clothes on the ground. "I didn't mean to pry but I noticed they're all from Nate."

Nate. I had texted him when I left the pizzeria but nothing since. I had to tell him about Scotty but I didn't want to text him about it.

"Can you read them for me?" I asked. My voice sounded low and far away, like it wasn't even coming from my own body. I leaned back down onto the pillows and closed my eyes to listen.

Holly picked up my phone and grabbed my hand. "I need your fingerprint to unlock the screen."

I let her take my thumb to place over the sensor.

"Are you listening?"

"Mm-hmm," I responded.

"Jordy, I love you. You're so sexy. I can't wait to see you again."

"Stop!" I managed to smile through the pounding in my head. "He did not say that."

"Fine! He didn't say that... oh, he says, "Don't lie. I know you miss me, winky face emoji." Is he flirting with you, Jordan?"

"Don't ask questions. Just read," I said.

"Message number two: Specialist says I'll be good to start practice throws by end of week. Should be good for the last few games of the season..."

"Good."

"Message number three: My team won our game today. Day game tomorrow and then I'll be back in the evening. Message number four: Your dad told me what happened. Coach has given me the ok to miss today's game. My aunt and uncle are going to drive me back. I'll see you as soon as I can."

I opened my eyes at that last message.

"Aw, he's rushing back for you," Holly hugged the phone to her chest.

"No," I rocked my head on the pillow. "No, he should stay with his team. I don't want him to worry."

"Stop overthinking everything. He's coming because he cares and because he wants to. He's not obligated to do that, you know."

I closed my eyes again. Despite the pain in my head, I did feel a little flutter at the thought that he was going to be back sooner than expected. I just wish it wasn't under the present circumstances.

"I don't want him to see me like this."

"Like what? It's ok to be vulnerable."