July 4 (Evening)

The sun had set. Fireworks would be starting at the beach soon.

The house was dark and empty. I took a shower and laid on my bed to read a book, but my mind kept envisioning Nate out on the beach, laughing with Kari, probably cuddling up on blanket to watch the fireworks.

My phone vibrated on my nightstand.

Holly: R U coming to watch fireworks?

Me: Can't. My dad said I couldn't go to the party 😤

Holly: Booo. Could you just come to watch the fireworks with me? We won't go to the party side of the beach. I'll bring you back home before your curfew, I promise. If your dad is mad, you can blame me. We could just tell him you are going to get late night pizza!

Me: Well he's not even home right now...

Holly: Great, I'll come by in ten! Wear something cute!

I looked through my closet and found a three-quarter length pair of leggings and a flowy bohemian crop top that I hadn't worn in over a year. I crawled into the back of the closet and found a pair of sparkly, strappy sandals.

I went into the bathroom and opened the vanity. I had some makeup in here somewhere. I applied blush and some eyeliner and mascara. This was as cute as it was going to get.

Holly arrived at my front door in five minutes, not ten.

"Whoa!" Holly looked at me wide-eyed when I met her on the front porch. "Take your hair out of that bun and you're sexy AF!"

"Shh, let's just go. I have to be back here in an hour and a half!" I pulled Holly along.

"Oh, oh we're doing the walking thing, right," Holly scurried to catch up in her platforms.

The beach was packed with cliques of teenagers and young college kids. There was a bonfire with several couples sitting around it and another group playing beach volleyball with a glow in the dark beach ball. I scanned the crowds and saw no sign of Nate or Kari.

"Over here!" Holly squeezed through the crowd as I maneuvered as deftly as I could, trying to keep up with where she was going.

A few colourful pops of light exploded in the sky as we reached a small clearing amongst the families with kids. Activity around the beach slowed as everyone turned toward the ocean. More colourful pops of light exploded at quicker intervals above.

I tried to concentrate on the lightshow above, but I couldn't help but continue to gaze around to the groups of people. Surely, it can't be that difficult to find a long-haired giant amongst the crowd.

"Did you notice all of the guys checking you out on the beach," Holly asked as we walked back toward my house after the fireworks display.

"What?"

"You didn't notice that you were turning heads all over that beach tonight? What were you looking at?"

"Nothing. I just didn't notice," I replied. I didn't want to say I was preoccupied to see anything on that beach because I spent the entire time searching for one person.

"Thank you for coming to watch the fireworks with me tonight. That was really fun," Holly gave me a hug. "I'll see you later, ok?"

"Text me when you get home," I responded.

My stomach was in knots wondering where Nate was if I didn't see him on the beach. It was less than thirty minutes until midnight and Nate still wasn't home. My stomach was nauseated at the thought of him flirting with Kari. Maybe they didn't even make it to the beach. That thought made the nausea even worse.